Found my hen dead this morning, help me figure out why, please

Hi,

I'm so sorry about this. I've had to deal with illness, too, and it is just sooo frustrating!! My advice would be to have the bird that just died necropsied to find out what you are dealing with. If it's too late, and another one dies, get that one done right away. It's important to know what they have so you can deal with it appropriately. Best of luck.

I'm a BIG believer in Oxine disinfectant. I even sprayed it on the dirt in the run when I let it stand open for a month.....

I'm also a big believer in Avia Charge 2000; it's a vitamin/mineral supplement that goes in the drinking water. It's kelp-based and provides all the vits/mins they may be lacking.

Yes, BEST of luck, and keep us posted!!

MrsG - sounds like you were VERY diligent in your efforts, and I hope you are now rewarded with a happy...and HEALTHY flock! Sometimes, it's so frustrating, you just want to throw in the towel. But, if you work hard and are diligent, usually things seem to work out.

Thank you!
I had just cleaned out the coop yesterday. Not disinfected, just cleaned, and put in fresh straw. I looked over everything very well and I didn't see any blood, and haven't seen any this whole time, just on the dead one's beak.

I think what they are doing is sneezing, not coughing. So maybe it's not ILT? If this were some other type of respiratory infection, would that still cause her to die, or would her death point to something like ILT for sure?

One more question, how would I have the bird necropsied? Where would I go for that? I am in mid- michigan.

Last edited:
I took my hen to the state veterinary office in Warrenton, Va. I forget how I found out about it. I think I called our local extension office and got the info. Also, some universities do them. "Let your fingers do the walking" (if you remember that ad)!

As for her dying from a respiratory illness, yes, there are LOTS of viral and bacterial respiratory illnesses that can kill a chickens. That's why it's good to know what you're dealing with. I'm not on my own computer where I have certain sites saved that describe them but I'll see if I can find one here and post it.

Here's a couple of sites that may help you.

http://www.barnyardhealth.com/resinindompo.html

http://www.poultrydiseases.net/online/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=52

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Wynette. It was a difficult but educational experience. I learned a lot about BioSecurity. I am happy to say my new flock is thriving and spoiled rotten.
smile.png

Oxine is the best! I did the same thing...sprayed it all over the run while is sat waiting for the next occupants.

Quote:
I think you best bet would be to call Peter Brown "the chicken doctor" at firststatevetsupply.com. He'd give you a much better idea of a diagnosis and course of treatment. He is a lifesaver!

It may not be ILT but that is the first thing I think of when there is blood present because there aren't any other respiratory diseases that you find a bloody discharge.

I am crossing my fingers and toes for you!!
fl.gif

Well, I ended up calling Peter Brown and he suggested it was best to cull the whole flock and disinfect the coop. ASAP.
sad.png

Also, he explained how awful the antibiotics are, that you are technically not able to eat any eggs again after you give it to them. How terrible. I never would have done it had I known.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know. Rats, now I have to kill them and I don't even get to eat them.

I just started up a laying flock too around the begining of march. And I`ve built a 4x8 coop with a run like yours. Guess that`s common? Since bringing everybody home I`ve had 1 rooster and 2 hens die and haven`t got a clue? They are 2nd year birds and appeared healthy. I think the rooster got his butt whipped by a few hens that he was doin the nasty with. I noticed the hens slowed down a bit but the last 1 I saw her comb and wattles turned from bright red to a real dark color. I seperated her from the rest of the girlz but it was too late. I think that some time they just up n die? Everybody else is ok. I been checkin eyes n combs n activity when I do chores at nite. I also free range them in the afternoon when they`re done layin. I started with shavings in the nest boxes but they tend to scratch down to the wood n I end up with cracked huevos, so I now add alittle hay to cushion the fall and it seems to work. Most meds this time of the season make the eggs inedible and its hard to do the preventive thing now that one is sick. I`m kinda watchin and riding it out till the fall. they were all supposed to be vaccinated before I got them?

Hi again,

I am sooo sorry you have to kill all your girls.
sad.png
That just sucks. Are you going to call the person you got them from and get your money back? I bet they knew they were sick if the birds were sneezing when you got them!
rant.gif

As far as not ever eating the eggs again, only Peter Brown has told me that. My vet said to wait 30 days before eating again and I think that's what most people on here do. Over the years, I have eaten the eggs after 30 days and I'm still alive and kickin'! I remember him telling me that he recommends not ever eating them again because there haven't been any studies confirming it's okay to eat them. He said it was up to me and I went ahead and ate them because everyone else does and the vet said it was okay. jmho

Back
Top Bottom