Found my Jabberwokkee headless

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by write2caroline, Jun 8, 2011.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Something got to my Jabberwokkee. He was a gamey phoenix mix bantam roo. He had been injured and I had him in a separate pen. All the rest of the chickens were locked up. Found him in the woods this AM Headless and chest eaten. I feel really bad. I am wondering what got him. Fox maybe. Neighbor on one side, I think is selling dirt for fill because trucks and tractors have been on her property. Wondering if the natural habitat is shifting. I don't begrudge the predator a meal. It was my fault for not having Jabbs in a more protected coop. I too have been lax about locking up the other chickens at night. I did last night.

Just venting.

Caroline

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Beware of foxes with vorpal blades!

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds more like a coon or bird. A fox usually grab the bird and leave to eat at the den or feed it to kits.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Sounds like the work of a raptor.

[​IMG]

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    It would have happened in the night so I cannot imagine a raptor digging into the pen and grabbing them and I thought the raccoons just killed the chickens and leaving them behind. Would an owl have done it?

I had a fox attack a long time ago and he had my roo and was trying to rip out his chest feathers until I came upon him and he released my roo - Razz was fine by the way. That was in the early am.

Since loosing Jabbs I have been good about locking in my chickens at night. The neighbors around me all have coon traps and haven't caught anything in them for a very long time. They both lost their entire flocks to coons but they also didn't have a coop that they could lock the chickens up at night - they have pens with roosts.

Caroline

6. Floridachicken1958

Floridachicken1958 Lost but not forgotten

Jun 10, 2011
    CENTRAL FLORIDA
    I have had the same problem in the past and low & behold I snuck out cause my chickens were making a racket and noticed a Bobcat out there clawing at my chickens.The thing that I did was turn a light on at night to scare him away or you can put a radio out there and the Bobcat will think someone is out there or better yet Put a Electric fence around their cage.One time I had found a opossum out there climbing the fence and I snuck up on him and stabbed him and that was the last of him.Or you could get a trap to catch him.The place next door to me is a farm & ranch store and they have all kinds of animals and the Bobcat had gotten 5 of their goats and it had ate the chest cavity out and covered it up so it could come back later to finsih it off.Bobcats burry their food if they don't finish it off. Hope this helps you out and what has been eating your chickens. To me it is a Bocat just by what he had done to me and the business next door.

7. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Good name for a Roo. Sorry you lost him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by