Found my turkey!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Lanicus, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Lanicus

Lanicus Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    Oklahoma
    A couple weeks ago I couldn't find my turkey hen and I thought that something got her or she just ran away, well yesterday my neighbor came over and told me there was a turkey in her bushes! Turns out she was sitting on a nest! [​IMG] Anyway im super relieved and im hoping for some new poults! [​IMG]

2. turkey lover

turkey lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    how many eggs was she sitting on ,I'm just wondering tryng to get an idea about a number,when they decide to sit,

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    LOL @ your neighbor telling you that there was a turkey in her bushes. :lau I don't mean to laugh but that brings back memories. So glad that you found her. Congrats on future babies. :clap

4. Lanicus

Sep 9, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Well I couldnt get under her to see, but I imagine its around 10-15 eggs. I had a turkey sit on a nest of 15 eggs once, all but 5 hatched so i think 10 eggs would be a good number

5. Lanicus

Sep 9, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Also I saw a crushed egg outside of the nest, I wonder if she crushed it and got it out or somthing else happened??

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Is she in an area where she will be protected from predators?

7. Lanicus

Sep 9, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I think it's a pretty good spot, way back into a thorny bush we don't have a whole lot of predators, mainly peoples dogs that get loose (which I scare away pretty effectively) and she was never very tame, very shy and when I poke my head in to check her she puffs up and hisses, especially if my dog is near (he would never hurt her)

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Do you think the dogs will find her back there?

9. Lanicus

Sep 9, 2012
    Oklahoma
    It's possible, but I think the big toms always strutting out in front would distract the dogs and I check her regularly throughout the day. I'm think I might put some kind of fence up and supply food and water for her (we have a pond not to far away that im sure she waters there)

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I think that is a GREAT idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by