Injured Turkey Vent from Chicken Pecking

mplatas

Hatching
Aug 29, 2023
My turkey is approximately 4 months old along with her 4 pen mates which are chickens. 1 is also 4 months and the other 3 are approx 2 1/2 months.

A couple of days ago we had an incident when we came home just to find our turkey's vent entire mangled and pecked to death from the chickens. She was heavily bleeding huge drops of blood while she walked. Horrific to say the least!

I started reading online about how to clean the wound and keep it protected from infection for the time being.

I have been using a solution of dial unscented soap and room temperature followed by 50/50 saline water and hydrogen peroxide with only a small amount of iodine in it. I repeat this twice. I pat the area nice and dry and then seal it over with Neosporin.

We are now going on day 3 and yesterday was a start to the perimeter of the wound starting to turn a blueish black. I can't find a vet that treats turkey's near me either. HELP! I am so scared for my girl Petunia :(

I guess my most scary question is whether or not that blueish ring around the perimeter means it is healing or that it is dying tissue? Getting to her a vet is my biggest priority, but thought I would ask on here as well. Thank you in advance!

My turkey is approximately 4 months old along with her 4 pen mates which are chickens. 1 is also 4 months and the other 3 are approx 2 1/2 months.

A couple of days ago we had an incident when we came home just to find our turkey's vent entire mangled and pecked to death from the chickens. She was heavily bleeding huge drops of blood while she walked. Horrific to say the least!

I started reading online about how to clean the wound and keep it protected from infection for the time being.

I have been using a solution of dial unscented soap and room temperature followed by 50/50 saline water and hydrogen peroxide with only a small amount of iodine in it. I repeat this twice. I pat the area nice and dry and then seal it over with Neosporin.

We are now going on day 3 and yesterday was a start to the perimeter of the wound starting to turn a blueish black. I can't find a vet that treats turkey's near me either. HELP! I am so scared for my girl Petunia :(

I guess my most scary question is whether or not that blueish ring around the perimeter means it is healing or that it is dying tissue? Getting to her a vet is my biggest priority, but thought I would ask on here as well. Thank you in advance!
Stop using the hydrogen peroxide. If you don't thoroughly flush the peroxide with lots of water, it keeps on burning the flesh.

Cover the area with Peck-No-More to stop the chickens from pecking at it.

Stop using the hydrogen peroxide. If you don't thoroughly flush the peroxide with lots of water, it keeps on burning the flesh.

Cover the area with Peck-No-More to stop the chickens from pecking at t

Cover the area with Peck-No-More to stop the chickens from pecking at it.
Thank you for that advice! I had no idea it was hurting here more!! Will that blueish color go back to normal or have I completely hurt her bad?

If it is more green than blue, that is the color that birds show when bruised and it will eventually return to normal as long as the cause of the bruising is stopped.
It is sitting in between a greenish blue. More on the blue side as of last night around 8pm. If its more blue when I get home what does this mean for my turkey??

Another strange part to this, before the chickens started pecking her vent, she started loosing feathers. Like WHOLE feathers and now the feather in the back are broken off with just stick standing.

Why would my chickens be doing this to my turkey?? I don't understand. Are they breaking off her feathers too??

It is sitting in between a greenish blue. More on the blue side as of last night around 8pm. If its more blue when I get home what does this mean for my turkey??
Green with some blue is bruising due to the pecking.
Another strange part to this, before the chickens started pecking her vent, she started loosing feathers. Like WHOLE feathers and now the feather in the back are broken off with just stick standing.
Turkeys like all other feathered creatures molt. Sounds like she is molting.
Why would my chickens be doing this to my turkey?? I don't understand. Are they breaking off her feathers too??
Chickens are blood thirsty. Once they get a taste of blood they really get after it. Part of the molting process are the blood feathers coming in to replace the dropped feathers. The chickens found the blood and want more. They are probably breaking the feathers off in search of more blood feathers.

It's best to separate her from the chickens.

Turkeys need a lot more personal space than chickens do. Sounds like where you have them that there is no way for her to get away from them. Turkeys also really need other turkeys for companionship.

Green with some blue is bruising due to the pecking.

Turkeys like all other feathered creatures molt. Sounds like she is molting.

Chickens are blood thirsty. Once they get a taste of blood they really get after it. Part of the molting process are the blood feathers coming in to replace the dropped feathers. The chickens found the blood and want more. They are probably breaking the feathers off in search of more blood feathers.

It's best to separate her from the chickens.

Turkeys need a lot more personal space than chickens do. Sounds like where you have them that there is no way for her to get away from them. Turkeys also really need other turkeys for companionship.
So oddly enough, they have 3 acres to free range on. They insist on staying with one another and poor Petunia (despite them hurting her) has just wanted to be with them since we separated them and her.

Should I make her her own enclosure? We had one more turkey right when we got her who would be the same age now, but she passed away around 1 month. Just woke up and she was gone.

Is there ever any reuniting with the chickens? And will this wound heal on its own or does she need something like bandages and sutures?

So oddly enough, they have 3 acres to free range on. They insist on staying with one another and poor Petunia (despite them hurting her) has just wanted to be with them since we separated them and her.
She was imprinted b y chickens by raising her with them. She cannot understand that chickens are not turkeys. Turkeys are very social bird so she does not want to be alone.
Should I make her her own enclosure?
Probably a very good idea.
Is there ever any reuniting with the chickens? And will this wound heal on its own or does she need something like bandages and sutures?
Unless you can cure the chickens from pecking for blood, she will likely need to stay separated.

The wound should heal on its own without bandages or sutures.

Back
Top Bottom