Found my two full grown large hens with throat ripped out

keith.rayne

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2018
We let the hens out to roam the yard as normal in the morning. My daughter came out two hours later to find both killed. I have a seven month old cat that I own, I suspect him. This is not a big cat, is he capable of killing both those birds like that? I live in the country with big oaks and I’m sure plenty of raccoons and other animals. Northeast Florida. Would a coon or other predator come out in the open in daylight? Hate to give the cat away but I will.

YES, YES & YES. I have had 2 chickens killed by Cats (1 may have been a possum) Shot the last one that came over the fence. He/She won't be back. It doesn't matter what the size or how many there are as far as the chicken is concerned. Cats kill for the sport of it. I watched the one that killed mine the day before and didn't take the shot then.... I sure wish I had.

We let the hens out to roam the yard as normal in the morning. My daughter came out two hours later to find both killed. I have a seven month old cat that I own, I suspect him. This is not a big cat, is he capable of killing both those birds like that? I live in the country with big oaks and I’m sure plenty of raccoons and other animals. Northeast Florida. Would a coon or other predator come out in the open in daylight? Hate to give the cat away but I will.
This is an awful problem to deal with.
I think a domestic cat could kill a chicken but for how long have the cat and chickens been living together?
I get feral cats here that hunt at night. I've seen one stalk a group of chickens at dusk, but it thought better of it and moved on.
I don't envy the decision you're going to have to make. Part of me says if they have been living together then why would the cat kill two straight off now. It doesn't make much sense.
I would look for another possible culprit. Lots of other predators hunt in daylight.
What sort of wounds did the chickens receive?

Once a cat does that you don’t have a choice because they now have a taste for it. Some cats won’t but the ones who do will continue.

Lost one hen a year ago, early morning hours, her crop was gone.
The culprit was a hawk :(
Sorry for your loss. Really sucks!
I've never had any issues with our cats. Just guessing but, wouldn't a cat tear into the meat more so than the crop?

Highly doubt it was a cat. We have plenty of cats around here and believe me they think better of messing with a LF chicken. They hunt mice, small birds and chipmunks. Sounds more like what a hawk would do.

Back
Top Bottom