Found newborn chick

CandyH

Hatching
5 Years
May 13, 2014
We live in Hawaii and we have a ton of wild hens and roosters all over the place. They frequently lay eggs in my flower pots etc...One laid eggs next to our porch. We discovered a teeny tiny abandoned chick there today. It's very tiny, it's eyes aren't open, and it's feathers aren't all in. I thought it's mom was near, but when she moved and all of her babies popped out from under her they were fully feather and running around, so I don't know what happened. At any rate, now we have this chick and I have no idea what to do with it. Everything I have read seems to be about older chicks. It's eyes do open a teeny bit for a few seconds. We have a box with lots of towels and a lamp. It does move it's head around, but it isn't mobile. We gave it some water through a medicine dropper and some oatmeal that we blended up to make super fine. Should it be more mobile? Is that why it was abandoned, or does that happen when they are like a day or two old? I don't know if it's even a day. It was just laying there, occasionally chirping, amidst a bunch of broken eggs. Help.
Thanks!

That's interesting. Keep a lamp nearby so it can warm up. It might need some electrolyte, but in a pinch, I used Powerade/Gatorade that we had in the pantry. Maybe some sugar water. Dip its little beak in the liquid. I have heard others suggest giving a little mashed up boiled egg yolk. You could try that. Pictures?

We actually held for the first hour, pressed up against us with a towel before making up the box. It's actually chirping and moving around quite a bit which is really cool. I put it's beak in the water, it didn't seem to care, I put some of the oatmeal down, likewise, it didn't seem to care. But it is moving around a lot more and it's eyes are open a whole lot more. I'm gonna be really bummed now if it takes a turn for worse =/ we just got Gatorade.

Cool. Maybe it'll be fine. They just lay around cheeping for the first few hours after being born. It ought to be up running around in a few hours. Be sure the gatorade is at least room temp. If you don't have a proper waterer for chicks, get a shallow dish and put just a little in it. They sometimes fall into dishes and drown. That would be a bummer. Put a little food (the crushed oatmeal is probably ok for now) in another dish. Put the food in a separate place from the light. Make sure the chick has room to get under the light and then get out from under it too. It can then regulate its own temp that way. Now you need to get it a friend.
frow.gif

So far, so good. S/He is eating and pooping which is a good sign. We moved the light up today to lower the temp a little. Not drinking as much as we'd like, but it's hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom