Found ( non conventional) nest boxes??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by domromer, Oct 6, 2007.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    After building my tractor I'm really sick of making things. My girls are getting to the age where they need a nest box. What are some things you guys have used for nest boxes? I think I've heard of people using 5 gallon buckets. If you have pictures of you non-conventional next boxes that would be great.

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I've seen on here that some people use the plastic like file stackable bins and stack them up and tie them with a bungy and of course, secure to wall somehow. Maybe look in the coop section to see if they have a pic of inside. I know I have seen that somewhere on here. [​IMG]

3. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Quote:I know Southern28Chick has done this. Look for some of her posts about when she got her first eggs; there's pics of the hens in the bins.

I use wooden boxes that were once used for packing and shipping wine grapes.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've seen covered cat litter boxes used, too.

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I used a cardboard box for awhile...the Silkies gave me looks like I was crazy though...[​IMG]

Dawn

6. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    We used these things: stacking bins

The big ones fit 2 standard hens or 3 smaller ones. My girls are friendly and like to lay together. We had a coupon, so it wasn't terribly expensive. We screwed them to the wall to get them to stay up.

7. Rebeccahorse

Rebeccahorse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    I use those plastic storage totes. I cut a hole in the end big enough for them to walk in and put hay in there and they love it. You can get them at walmart, meijer, or other stores. I get them at a Family Dollar.

Here is a link to what I am talking about.
    They come in several sizes, I am currently using 2 10 gallon, and one 18 gallon tote.

http://www.pamida.com/20071006/523337.asp

I hope you find something that works for you.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have used plastic milk crates turned on the side and filled with straw before.`They worked well.

9. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Here's mine. THey are plastic bins from Walmart $4.50 each.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by