Found one of my hens dead today.

jadasmom

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 12, 2013
Hi,

I found one of my older hens dead today. I thought she was about 2 to 2-1/2 years old, but I'm not certain. She had been lethargic for a week or two, no pus, no rattling when she we breathing, no lumps or bumps, she ate, but not with the vigor she used to, Other than she seemed to move slower, I didn't notice much else.

About 4-5 months ago, her feathers darkened. It was really strange, she's a RIR, and was darker than two of her flock, but her feathers got darker. She didn't molt, didn't seem like many fell out either.

About 6 months ago, she did come down with an upper respiratory issue, I put antibiotic powder in the water, and within 2 weeks, she had perked up and her sneezing & weezing were gone. None of the other 3 birds caught it, and the 6 chicks I had were in the house and didn't come in contact (or get sick).

I'm befuddled, she did in the last 2 weeks look like she had aged, in the face, it's really hard to describe. She looked tired.

I buried her in the front yard, poor thing. I'll be watching the rest of the flock to see if anyone else gets sick or seems to "slow down".

Ok, I'm off to the local feed store for chicken deworming medication and I'm going to deworm all of them. I don't want to lose anymore.

Sorry for you loss... Many states offer free or low cost necropsies, so you should look into that or try to do your own.

Definetly worm with Safeguard (10% fenbendazole liquid or paste) or Valbazen (albendazole). You'll find Safeguard in the cattle, goat and horse sections of feedstores, and if you're really lucky, they might also have Valbazen, but most people have to order that. I wouln't bother with Wazine (piperazine) which is probably what a store employee will try to sell you 'cause it only gets roundworms.

-Kathy

Wouldn't mixing DE (DIATOMACEOUS EARTH) food grade with their feed also help to de worm them? I've read about chicken and livestock farmers mixing in the bedding and feed to de worm their animals. http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp it's non-toxic to the chickens and humans but kills bed bugs, fleas, worms and more....and it's inexpensive. Read the above article for more info. Some good articles here on backyard chickeno regarding DE as well..

No offense intended, but I have *not* seen a *properly* documented study that shows it as an effective way to control *any* type of poultry parasite.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom