Found one of my sources of missing eggs. What now?

LinckHillPoultry

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
I watched one of my BEST egg laying hens eat an egg yesterday. My black ameraucana.
I am so upset that she is an egg eater.

What should I do?
Is there a way to stop her?

It's a hard thing to stop once they start. Gathering the eggs several times a day so she's got less access to them sometimes helps. Often the stew pot is the only cure.

It's SO difficult to get them to stop, but it can be done. The very best way is as Katy says - collect often! But, for those of us who work full-time jobs, that's impossible. So....you can put golf balls or wooden/marble eggs in the nest boxes - the theory being that when they peck them and can't get them to crack, they give up. You can also blow out an egg and put nasty hot sauce or horseradish mustard inside, with the though that they CAN crack the egg, but the insides are nasty so they then stop. I believe either of these methods will work, you just need to be diligent.

Also, they may be lacking protein in their diet - throw in some dry cat food once in awhile to supplement for that. GOOD LUCK!
smile.png

How high are you nest boxes? I should have asked are the nest boxes sitting on the floor?

If so raise them to about 30 -36 inches, I have heard this works is nest boxes are on the floor.

The suggestions made are about all you can do.

I have found culling is the best solution.

Scooter, the nest boxes are built into the floor.

I really don't want to cull her, as I have never culled a chicken and I really don't want to learn.

She was one of my best layers and I am just so upset.

I will probably seperate her is I can and I will try the method of filling the egg with something nasty like Wynette says.

I just can't find anything in me to cull the bird.

You can try to create an insert in your nests so when an egg is laid, it rolls into a covered are so they can not see it. I have a vision but no plans and you would need a little plywood and foam rubber I think.....

I know the one hen that lays regularly and and the biggest eggs for me occasionally eats the eggs. I'd been thinking she was pecking at the ends of all of her eggs too, but recently realized the bedding in the nest got too thin and the eggs were breaking when they landed. I know cjeanean said she had a roll-away nest box plan--something I plan to do with my nest as soon as I can squeeze in time. lol It's really infrequent that she eats the eggs, and there is always a bit of shell left over (as far as I can tell, anyway). I would try the roll-away nest boxes if the bad-tasting eggs don't work for you.

Good luck!

I wonder if it is something lacking in her diet? On another forum someone suggested dropping an egg in front of the hen. If it goes for the shell then it needs calcium. If it goes for the yoke it needs more protein.
Having said that, I am culling three turken hens because the one started eating eggs and the other two learned from her. I increased both calcium and protein and it didn't help.
Collecting more often does help. You can usually hear the hens telling everyone about the new egg right after they lay.
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom