Found Our First Egg In The Nestbox, Now What?

Break an Egg

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
San Antonio
Okay, my EE's are 21 weeks old Friday. I found their first egg yesterday. And I'm very excited. Now I've got all these ?'s and I need some help please.

1. I have 3 girls the same age. Found one egg. What can I expect now? An egg a day or every other day? Do they start laying all of a sudden, or am I going to have to wait a week or 2 for another one?

2. I free range my girls during the day, and I have started mixing in oyster shell with their food which is in their coop. Should I expect them to lay again in the nesting box, or should I scour our backyard for more eggs? I am worried about our turkey who also free ranges finding eggs and eating them.

3. Do hens lay at the same time every day, or at a certain time of day?
I'm just wondering if I should be checking in the evening too.

We are very lucky to find the egg in the nesting box. I haven't found any golf balls to stick in there yet, so I must have some smart girls. lol I just hope that the nesting boxes is where the rest of the eggs will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new egg!!! I love those first few tiny ones. My girls allways went back to the house for laying even when they were free ranging. I doubt all the girls will lay at the exact same time. Especially in the summer heat. Keep your eyes open though! Gina

Thanks, I sooo need to take a pic, but it is beautiful and sea green. This makes me want to run outside and check every 5 mins. lol

the hen who layed will lay around the same time of day every time she lays. she may not lay everyday but if you are lucky she will i know i was lucky cause both mine started the same day and layed once a day everyday

Once everyone begins to lay, you can expect an egg a day from everyone while they are pullets. This will prolly continue until the first molt, if they are properly fed and watered....

bigzio

It takes 26 hours for a chicken to "make" an egg; thus, they will lay a bit later each day. I've never known one to lay every single day, because of the time it takes to make an egg.

They don't typically lay at night, although I have one that every now & again will lay very early (before 5 a.m.).

Typically, they lay before late afternoon (like before 5 p.m.). But they all have their own little quirky egg-laying habits, too!! Some folks who freerange them leave them in the run/coop until the afternoon, to make sure the eggs laid by then are laid in nest boxes and they don't have to search for them. I would think the others won't be far behind in laying, but you never know about that, either. My first batch - I had 6 - when the first one laid (at 21 weeks), the next one laid the very next day, and I had 4 laying and they never skipped a beat. But, the last 2 didn't begin laying until 32+ weeks! Those 2 consistently lay Jumbo or XL sized eggs, so it was worth the wait. Enjoy!
smile.png

I would be careful about mixing in the oyster shells with feed. I have heard excessive amounts of calcium can do more harm then good. I would get a separate feeder so they can eat it as they need it.

Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom