Found our first egg this morning!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by catlvr976, Feb 19, 2013.

1. catlvr976

catlvr976 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    Bad news is, I have no idea how long it's been out there, bc it was really cold this morning, and has been the past few days, so I'm sure it's ok. The other bad news, someone laid it in my yard under a small deck that we have. The egg was cold when I picked it up.

I went out and put a fake easter egg with some rocks in it into the nest box area. Is it too late and will they continue to just lay them anywhere? I wish I knew who it was, considering they are 29 weeks today.

They pretty much roam about my yard (1/3 acre).

In all, it's a pretty nice size lovely brown egg!!!! So proud of whoever it was!! FINALLY!!!!!

2. CricketR4

CricketR4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    Mebane, NC
    You can float it in a bowl of water to find out if it's still good. It should lay on it's side at the bottom of the bowl, if it tips up on the "pointy" end or floats to the top, it's no good. As for laying all over the yard, my chickens roam a 2.5 acre yard, plus some fields and woods outside the yard. Mostly they all lay in the coop in various places, but I did find a nest of 7 eggs in a cardboard box in our garbage area, and one of my girls lays in between the floor boards in the "tack room" where we store feed and hay. Another girl layed her eggs under a pile of scrap wood in our pole barn, but after I took her eggs, she's back to laying in the coop. I think of it as an easter egg hunt every day! :)

3. catlvr976

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    Thanks so much!! It was so exciting when I found it!

My kids are going to flip when they get home from school, we've been on egg watch for weeks now!

4. CricketR4

CricketR4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    Mebane, NC
    We've been getting eggs for a while now, and we all still get excited when we get them out of the coop (or wherever they happen to lay them)! We also have some ducks that just started laying, and that's been interesting, since sometimes they lay their eggs anywhere and everywhere. One day about two weeks ago, I found a duck egg in the middle of a puddle, still warm from being layed. Silly birds. :)

5. stefan333

stefan333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    KY
    I've been going out to the coop this past week having conversations with my RIR and BR's asking them where my eggs are. They just tilt their heads at me as if to say, "Be patient momma, you'll get your eggs when I'm good and ready." That's so exciting, though. I can't wait.

6. catlvr976

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    I know, I go out in the morning, open their coop, sing good morning ladies!!! and ask if they left any eggs. I started to call them freeloaders, maybe they got the hint?? LOL

7. catlvr976

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    Got egg #2 a little bit ago....slightly smaller, and a pretty pinkish brown color!

8. stefan333

Nov 5, 2012
    KY
    [​IMG] YAY!

9. catlvr976

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    I just came in, egg #3 laid about 15 mins ago from my barred rock. It was so cool, I was in there and watched as she laid it! She sat in the nest box and was putting shavings on her back and kind of rearranging them around herself. She didn't make any noise, but the egg was an odd, long oval shaped very light brown color!

All of a sudden they start laying, like all on the same day!

This is soooo cool for a total newbie like me!

10. stefan333

Nov 5, 2012
    KY
    I wonder if it's the same concept as when they're hatching. They chirp to encourage the others to hatch. Maybe they encourage each other to lay eggs. That is so neat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by