Found out a new way for butchering quail.

Thats the only problem I had with it but you can fish out the other parts. The only thing I dont eat on quail or any bird is the intestines and lungs.It does seem easy but Ill stick with just skinning them.

Yea I didnt think that... just thought he left out the killing part.

I think of butchering as the cutting of meat... not the killing necessarily. Lots of butchers don't do any killing themselves

Hey Pringle-
I tried this method and I have to say it is the easiest cleanest method of cleaning quail ever! Very easy to do, not nearly as messy. It was very easy to skin the legs too. I also tried it on pheasants - works like a charm! Hubby and I watched the 'youtube' video and tested it out the next day, we were pleasantly surprised at how quick it goes.

Here is a pic of the 2 Jumbo Coturnix quail and the 3 fat ringnecks (2 hens/1cock) that we did. I browned them and put them in the crockpot. It was OOOOO-LAAAAAAA-LAAAAAAA! Wonderful!

1196_img_0788.jpg

Lisa
smile.png

Last edited:
Wow I thought this thread was dead,lol but thanks for the pic peepsnbunnies maybe people will see how well it works.

dang peeps, that makes me hungry!!!

does anyone know if this works with ALL birds or just small ones. i was kinda thinking it might make butchering chickens pretty easy, especially if i can just turn the skin inside out and pop the legs out.

Hi - it was very easy on quail, and a little more pulling strength required on pheasants. I have not tried it on chickens yet. Pheasants are a very strong muscular bird, stronger than any chicken I have. So maybe a chicken would be about the same as a pheasant. I hope so, that would make so much easier.

MMMMMMMMM.... it was wonderful! Pheasant and quail, a little onion, a little fresh garlic, cream of mushroon soup, water and an envelope of Lipton Onion Soup mix, in the crock pot for 5-6hours. Served with rice and a fresh spinach salad. YUM.

Lisa
smile.png

When we lived up north and went grouse hunting, this is the only way we cleaned the grouse. I have known about this method for years. It is very easy to do with any small bird. I recently tried it on my 6 month old cockerel (barred rock). It did not work. I even tried to get my son to help me, with him pulling on the wings, and me pulling on the legs. It did not work, so I ended up skinning him. I think it might have to do more with age though, as I did a meat bird at the age of 6 weeks. He was difficult, but still doable.

Back
Top Bottom