1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found out I have a cockerel

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morgan951, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Morgan951

Morgan951 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    After talking to some users on BYC I have been enlightened that my Dark Brahma isn't a pullet, she is a he! We got 6 chicks expecting them all to be female, but we got a cockerel on accident I suppose. So our flock is composed of 2 rhode island reds, an easter egg layer, a silver laced wyandotte and a white leghorn. (and the brahma) My question is, If my brahma starts... fertilizing the eggs, its okay to eat them right? and if we did have a broody hen who did hatch some of the eggs, is that bad? Because the chicks would be of mixed breeds. Should I get rid of the cockerel? Thanks in advance!

2. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Perfectly fine to eat fertilized eggs. Whether or not you'd like to hatch out any eggs under a broody hen is totally up to you. Just remember that there's a good chance that some of the resulting hatchlings will also be cockerels.

3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    The eggs are fine to eat. And I love my rooster! You might enjoy having one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by