10 month old black ameracunas not laying

MagistraTn

Songster
Feb 1, 2022
East Tennessee
I have a small flock and most everyone is doing well, but my three black amerucauna chooks have not yet graced me with a blue egg. They are a little more skittish than my others (15 total; 4 barred rocks, 3 black laced Wyandotte & 1 roo; 3 black copper marans & 1 roo). Barred rocks are 2 years old, everyone else is not quite 1 (April 12). We did cull 2 ameracun cockerels and 1 bcm cockrel before thanksgiving last year, but I can’t imagine that makes any difference.
any ideas? These are from cackle hatchery.

the days are getting longer, but it’s February in the heartland. I’m getting 5-7 eggs a day from the other 10 hens. The amerucaunas do squat and hang around the nesting boxes, and I don’t think that they’re laying in some other area in the run, I’ve searched.

Ameraucanas can take a little longer to mature than other breeds. I have some half Ameraucana hens that didn't start laying till nine or ten months. I don't think anything is wrong, you may just have to wait a bit before you start getting those pretty blue eggs.

Ameraucanas can take a little longer to mature than other breeds. I have some half Ameraucana hens that didn't start laying till nine or ten months. I don't think anything is wrong, you may just have to wait a bit before you start getting those pretty blue eggs.
Thanks. I had read they can take a year. God clearly wants me patient as well as trusting!

My mother also has Ameracaunas from Cackle. It took ten months before one started laying, and at about a month later now they're still not all laying. I'd never heard of chickens before that took so long to lay, so it's interesting to see someone else had the same experience with Cackle Ameracaunas. Mom lives where it stays warm and sunny year round.

Back
Top Bottom