Found out i have white campbells, what now?

Tofu the chicken

Songster
Mar 28, 2020
My Coop
My Coop
So recently I found out my ducks that I thought were pekin s were white campbells (had them at a poultry show and 2 different poultry judges basically were like these are not pekins at all, they are white campbells) and after diving into the breed all I could (there's barely any info about them) I realise they are an extremely rare breed and I was thinking about selling hatching eggs online was wondering what they should be sold for? They aren't perfect showquailty and most my females have freckling on beaks which is apparently a very common defect of the breed, also if anyone has any more info about the breed I'd love to hear about it very intrigued, thanks.

Where did you purchase them? Are you sure they aren't white layer ducks? Pictures?

A quote from Metzer on the reason why females develop spots on their bills and legs:
"What causes the black spots on my duck's bill?
Black spots on the bill and legs are due to melanin skin pigment. They are normally present (not harmful) but are covered with yellow colored xanthophyll pigment absorbed from feeds containing corn, alfalfa and other feed ingredients containing xanthophyll. In mature breeder ducks, after they have been laying eggs for awhile, more xanthophyll is absorbed by the egg yolk than the duck can consume in her feed. The bill and legs start showing melanin skin pigment due to the bleaching or fading of the xanthophylls."

@AstroDuck @Mandrogora I got them from hatching eggs from a friend's ducks she got unmarked at a local feed store, they are really small and I was always confused why because I thought they were pekins and my friend also thought they were pekins, the only reason I know they are campbells is because like I said I took them to a poultry show (even though they aren't show quality I just have fun, also males are really good quality without freckles one of my males actually got best duck) and they had 2 separate poultry judges there and they both told me they were white campbells and ever since I was told that me and my friend I got the ducks from have been looking into the breed and It seems accurate, even asked the judge about possibility of them being white layers and they told me they didn't fit standard/description of white layers

Attachments

• 20210727_154931.jpg
    20210727_154931.jpg
    681.7 KB · Views: 13
Where did you purchase them? Are you sure they aren't white layer ducks? Pictures?

A quote from Metzer on the reason why females develop spots on their bills and legs:
"What causes the black spots on my duck's bill?
Black spots on the bill and legs are due to melanin skin pigment. They are normally present (not harmful) but are covered with yellow colored xanthophyll pigment absorbed from feeds containing corn, alfalfa and other feed ingredients containing xanthophyll. In mature breeder ducks, after they have been laying eggs for awhile, more xanthophyll is absorbed by the egg yolk than the duck can consume in her feed. The bill and legs start showing melanin skin pigment due to the bleaching or fading of the xanthophylls."
I don't know if you know much about it or if you just copied pasted but a bit off topic from thread I have one girl duck that is about 5 months old, hasn't laid an egg and already has a bunch of freckles? And that says it's from egg laying so I'm a bit confused cause I always just thought it was a genetic thing

Back
Top Bottom