Found out that chickens actually pick favorites

May 25, 2021
Edmond (Snohomish County) WA
I keep noticing how my lead hen, Yellowie always pecks my younger pullet, Dumpling, harshly whenever she tries to food from her, while on the other hand, she rarely does that to Sungold, who is also a pullet from last year.
So I realized something……that chickens actually picks favorites! You could tell with just a week of examination that Yellowie treats Sungold nicer than any other chickens.
Do your chickens do this too? This is the only time I’ve ever seen my chicken do so.
(Yellowie)
9E71E408-0B55-45AE-9CCF-41AFF048C159.jpeg
E4C8A88B-C551-4597-B59C-0F40FFA17298.jpeg
(Speckled Sussex is Jelly, grey-black one standing on the left is Dumpling, and the one in the center walking is Sungold)

To be honest though, Sungold really is very sweet and is reasonable for Yellowie to like her best!

Yes! Chickens are so much like us! They have friends, they have elders they respect—I have one big English Orpington I call Big Momma and she gets after the young pullets and cockerels when they fight and no one picks on her. My bantam Cochins are like a little mean girl clique, and my Ameraucanas like everyone but my two youngest pullets who out weigh them 😆 It’s super fun watching their social dynamics!

Back
Top Bottom