Found out why my silkie eggs quit UPDATE

ethingtonart

Songster
10 Years
May 29, 2009
indianapolis
Some of my silkie eggs are starting to die! We are on day 10. I think there might be bacterial contamination of some sort because of two things. The first is, we opened up a quitter and the white was very cloudy. The second is, when I'm candling I'm seeing a large dark cloudy ring all around the egg (lengthwise). It moves slightly when you move the egg, and it's present in almost every egg (most of the embryos are still alive, one is dead, and two more look like they are heading that way). We are going to open up the dead one after dinner and try to see what's going on. Poor little thing, it looks really well developed and it's probably about 3/4 of an inch long or so.
Do you have any ideas? I'm afraid that I'm going to have to throw them all out.
hit.gif

Last edited:
I am of know help but to give you a hugs

Thank you!

yeah i would chuck them and start over

Gonna have to.
hit.gif

When was the last time you cleaned your incubator?

It's a brand new incubator, I got it for Christmas. I have another incubator that's been used already that I was going to use for hatching. Pretty much all of the eggs I received were dirty, I did my best to clean them up (I spent money on them after all) and I chucked the worst offenders, but it just wasn't enough.

I found out what went wrong last night when we cracked open one of the dead ones, the albumin was a yellowish green color.
sickbyc.gif
From what I've read it's a Pseudomonas bacteria (very commonly found in chicken poo). I also forgot to mention that I had to toss an oozing egg on day 3, so I must have had a pretty bad infection.

From page 212 in Story's Guide to Raising Chickens, "Sour egg. A murkey shadow surrounds an off center swollen yolk floating in a weak white..." "If you break it open the white looks greenish. The egg may or may not smell sour. Cause: Pseudomonas bacteria."

That's exactly what I was seeing
he.gif
And I spread it around to all the eggs when I candled, so I have to toss them all.​

Last edited:
Wouldn't bleach be enough to kill a Pseudomona?

Thanks everyone for the support.
hugs.gif

Edit to answer my own question. Bleach (according to Clorex company) kills the following...
A. Bacteria
Staphylococcus aureus (Staph.)
Salmonella choleraesuis
Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Streptococcus pyogenes (Strep.)
Escherichia coli O157:H7 (E. coli)
Shigella dysenteriae
Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
Fungi
Trichophyton mentagrophytes (can cause Athlete's Foot)
Candida albicans (a yeast)
Viruses
Rhinovirus Type 17 (a type of virus that can cause colds)
Influenza A (Flu virus)
Hepatitis A virus
Rotavirus
Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV)
HIV-1 (Human Immunodeficiency Virus)*
Herpes simplex Type 2
Rubella virus
Adenovirus Type 2
Cytomegalovirus

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom