Found : Petrified duck nest w/ ducklings **PICS POST ONE***

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
heard a noise and went to check it out today. It was one of the old metal lockers that is on the side of our barn. What I found in there was pretty cool.
It was a REALLY old duck nest. Im guessing it was a mallard or muscovy nest since that s what the previous owner of the house had. There were a bunch of shells which is what caught my attention. At first I thought it was a place where snakes or rats stored my eggs after stealing them .... well not snakes obviously, lol.

Anyway, I poked around and found three shells with things still in them - and they were fully formed duckling skeletons!

On the one side this is really depressing, but on the other it is a really cool find!

The ducklings and eggs are hard, the eggs almost like ceramic or glass. I'll have pictures up as soon as i can find my camera cord
smile.png

Here they are, I blew as much dirt and dust out as I could, and even chipped off a little of the egg shell for a better look. We have lived in this house for four years, so im pretty sure that the nest is at least that old if not older. None of my ducks ever made a nest there and im pretty sure i would have seen a hen around that area and possibly a hen and ducklings in that area if it had been while we lived here.

2hh2gwk.jpg

2ikw3yr.jpg

11uwba1.jpg

2upfpk5.jpg

2epkjzm.jpg

2en5o5y.jpg

21chy7n.jpg

32zrmhg.jpg

f3du6r.jpg

Last edited:
How interesting...I bit gruesome....But never the less would be good to see.

Last time I was up at my country block after a two week absence I found half a mouse skeleton on the floor of my shed. Still wondering where the other half is......

I'm amazed that they would still be there and not decomposed.... especially with the humidity in Alabama.

How old do you think they are?

Back
Top Bottom