Found round worm in poop. What is a good wormer to use during molt?

CarolinaSkies

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 13, 2012
I found a round worm in the poo while cleaning the chicken run this morning. Most of our chickens are molting, so what is a good wormer to use during molt? I know that Safeguard can cause feather problems.
D.gif

I've used Wazine with no harm to my flocks feathers. Wazine is made especially for treating round worms in chickens.

I've used Wazine with no harm to my flocks feathers. Wazine is made especially for treating round worms in chickens.
I used Wazine about 2 years ago when I wormed. I need to check if it works on gape worms too, because my rooster is making strange gaping movements. TY

We use Ivomec pour-on dewormer during moult. It's cheap and it kills external parasites, too. Big downfall is that you have to discard eggs for two weeks, but during moult that's not such a big deal as there aren't many eggs anyway. Dosage is .5 cc per large fowl bird, with half the dose put on the skin at the neck and half the dose put on the skin above the tail.

Don't think it kills gapeworm, though. Fenbendazole will kill them--that's the Safeguard you used before.

We use Ivomec pour-on dewormer during moult. It's cheap and it kills external parasites, too. Big downfall is that you have to discard eggs for two weeks, but during moult that's not such a big deal as there aren't many eggs anyway. Dosage is .5 cc per large fowl bird, with half the dose put on the skin at the neck and half the dose put on the skin above the tail.

Don't think it kills gapeworm, though. Fenbendazole will kill them--that's the Safeguard you used before.

TY - for the info. The Ivomec sounds easy and cheap and may be what I go with. Like you said, I'm not really worried about eggs at this point.

TY - for the info. The Ivomec sounds easy and cheap and may be what I go with. Like you said, I'm not really worried about eggs at this point.
When you buy the Ivomec (TSC, Rural King, other stores carry it, it's a cattle dewormer) pick up a luer-tip syringe to help you measure and apply that .5 cc. You don't need a needle.

Back
Top Bottom