Found this in nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by iowacluck, Jul 22, 2016.

1. iowacluck

iowacluck New Egg

Jul 22, 2016
    I am new here so hoping i am doing this right. We have 8 hens that are just over 1 year old, one turned very broody so we got some furtil eggs from someone and let her hatch and raise them. They are now 8 weeks old and last night we found this tiny egg in a nesting box. What do you think?[​IMG]

2. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    It's a egg called fart fairy or oops eggs, caused when a small foreign object enters the oviduct and is treated like a egg. They normally don't have a yolk and there is nothing to worry about. I actually got one yesterday
    -Liv

3. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Search "fart egg, fairy egg or rooster egg". They are not super common but do happen. One of your hens had an oops lol.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  5. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Welcome to BYC! I agree on fart egg as well. Happens from time to time and they're nothing to worry about. Hens can occasionally plop out some really weird looking eggs. Wavy shells, odd shapes, sometimes even shell-less eggs. As long as it's not consistent, it's more than likely a simple "oops."

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Agree with the above. Nothing to worry about.

7. iowacluck

iowacluck New Egg

Jul 22, 2016
    So good to have people here eager to help and inform, thanks for the info face book let me down but you guys didn't. :)

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Glad to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by