Found this odd/disturbing video on YouTube

Oh yes! 'Tis a hatchery and that is what they do to sex the chicks. The female chicks go down one chute and the males go down another. Just one more reason I will not buy from a hatchery again.

wow! I didn't know they went through a process like that...
poor little cheep cheeps!
sad.png

Quote:
I didn't watch it all the way through and missed that part. I quit watching when they were sexing the chicks and chucking down the tubes. Glad I missed the debeaking part.

I just looked at it, plus another about chick production that has the Discovery Channel logo on it. I am re-thinking ordering my chicks from a big hatchery.

Thanks for the link.

JeannieJayne

At first I thought it was kind of cute, but the more I watched the more my mouth hung open. Poor babies. I just wanted to go and rescue them all, but what an insane amount of babies there were!

When I was in elementary school I vaguely recall going on a field trip where I swore to my parents that we got to hold baby chicks that were on a conveyor belt. Now then, maybe I wasn't just dreaming that up, but would they have a similar operation somewhere in Northern VA?? That would have been sometime during the early to mid 80s.

I didn't have the volume up, but I watched this one - it looked more Americanized, but still looked like the babies were getting manhandled.

Last edited by a moderator:
The beak clipping is the only "cruel" part of the process and its done so that the chickens wont kill each other under factory farm conditions, short of actually improving those conditions that's the most humane thing to do, just like docking a tail from a dog breed that is prone to tail breakage.

Back
Top Bottom