Found this out and happy

JULIE L CORWIN

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
I have 4 year old chickens. Basically kept them in the coop with the run. Wanted to see how they would do if I left the run door open. So they could get outside. They basically stayed in the run. Did go outside but kept close to the run for a short time. I have a bassett hound that is 6 years old. What made me very happy was he just ignored them. That made me estatic. I plan on getting new chickens. So I know if I get new chickens how he will react towards them. I was worried that he being a hound dog. He would chase them. He only chases rabbits. I live on a small hobby farm in Ohio.. The chickens as I type this are outside the run in the shade. It's very warm outside. So sucess! I love backyard chickens the site and book magazine. Can't wait for my next issue

I love Basset hounds, they are mostly harmless, even to the rabbit if they were to catch up to it. Chickens will take a while to venture further from the coop, and many often don't go far, especially if they didn't grow up doing it.

IMG_0764.JPG

Here is a picture of one of my 3 basset hounds. Just as dangerous as she could possibly be, dirtbathing with the chickens.

Bassets are so cute and sweet dogs. Will be interesting to see how my pups and the chickens get along. They have not met yet and won't until they are a bit bigger. My pups won't mess with my 7oz parrot and ignore the birds that land in the yard so hoping same with the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom