Found this pair of ducks walking in the street by my daughter's school. Are they wild or domestic?

Here's another picture. They're quite fond of each other. So you think they're young then?
They likely grew up together - drakes raised together can get along super well. I’ve no idea of their age. At least 3 months old, since they have their sex feathers, but they could be much, much older. Potentially younger if they were dumped.
That's so sad. What is wrong with people? Ugh.
Dumping happens a lot to drakes, or really just to ducks in general. People get ducks as babies not knowing what they’re doing, and then they grow up, get big, get messy, and people don’t want to deal with them anymore.. :confused:

I have 2 white ducks already, both male. They're constantly raping each other. But hate when I separate them and snuggle for a few days before the raping starts again.
I’m not sure exactly what advice to give, I haven’t dealt with this personally. Do the two white males have access to and / or are they in sight of any other birds? And is it possible you could separate them, but with a gate or screen in the middle so they may still see each other - or do they hate that as well?

They likely grew up together - drakes raised together can get along super well. I’ve no idea of their age. At least 3 months old, since they have their sex feathers, but they could be much, much older. Potentially younger if they were dumped.

Dumping happens a lot to drakes, or really just to ducks in general. People get ducks as babies not knowing what they’re doing, and then they grow up, get big, get messy, and people don’t want to deal with them anymore.. :confused:
That just makes me sad. I know it happens to roosters too. People suck.
Thank you for getting them off the streets!

So it's not a male and female? One's more brown than the other. I just let them out to the yard to see what they'd do. They're just standing there looking at me. Lol they didn't really eat the feed I put out. Last night I thought the smaller one kinda dug in but it looks as full as it was last night
These handsome boys (they have drake feathers) are domestic (its very difficult to catch a wild duck!) and almost certainly dumped because they are drakes.

It will be great if you can keep them abd give them a good home. If you want females to lay eggs, you will need 8-10 females so that the drakes do not fight.

I rescue, rehab and rehome ducks. I have only once had female pekins dumped on a nearby pond. All the very many other times, he dumped ducks have been male

Where are you (city and state).

Last edited:
So I'm feeding them just what I feed my other ducks, the water foul crumbles or whatever from TSC or bomgaars. Idk what this bag came from I keep them in containers otherwise it's a mouse buffet.. I have 2 white ducks already, both male. They're constantly raping each other. But hate when I separate them and snuggle for a few days before the raping starts again. I can't just have 4 rapists hanging out. I'm for sure not housing them all together but man, what a bummer. But I couldn't just leave the poor things.
Your white ducks may not be raping each other!!! My flock are all drakes and we are now in the spring hormone surge. Drakes have to exert dominance to determine pecking order. It's just a drake thing. They will stand on each other to assert dominance until they have agreed who is Boss Duck. Then they just take periodic bites to remind the others who is Boss.

I just checked and find ypu are in Nebraska, so I can't offer to care for them (I am in Florida!)

I currently have three muscovy and one pekin. The pekin needs a friend -- he spends part of eachvday talking to his reflection in a glass tank I have in the garden. He otherwise hangs out on the side of the muscovy group but he needs a mallard derived friend!

They are most definitely domestic, and drakes. One is a Rouen the brown one is a khaki Campbell. They were dumped because two drakes require A LOT OF HENS and they probably had problems with them in the past. I can’t believe people dump animals that won’t live for more than a few days in the open.

Back
Top Bottom