Found turtle in winter!

Do not encourage him to move. That's a box turtle trying to heal itself while also hibernating. No heat, either--that's too much. Offering water is good, but don't expect (or worry about encouraging) it to eat or drink. I'd cover it with a layer of leaves and give it lots of quiet.

If you can find a wildlife rehabilitation organization nearby, that would be great. They may be able to bond the shell.

Otherwise, you'll be amazed at how much nature can heal itself with time. The less you disturb it the better, while also giving it a peaceful place away from hard freezes and predators.

Also, that crack probably happened a while ago, and washing it could be torturous and futile. Turtles' spines are attached to their shells so they feel everything acutely.

Do not encourage him to move. That's a box turtle trying to heal itself while also hibernating. No heat, either--that's too much. Offering water is good, but don't expect (or worry about encouraging) it to eat or drink. I'd cover it with a layer of leaves and give it lots of quiet.

If you can find a wildlife rehabilitation organization nearby, that would be great. They may be able to bond the shell.

Otherwise, you'll be amazed at how much nature can heal itself with time. The less you disturb it the better, while also giving it a peaceful place away from hard freezes and predators.

Also, that crack probably happened a while ago, and washing it could be torturous and futile. Turtles' spines are attached to their shells so they feel everything acutely.
I don't think that's a box turtle This is a box turtle
Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 2.34.51 PM.png

And this is a gopher tortoise
1610048352898.png

Does your turtle have webbed feet?

Back
Top Bottom