1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found Wild Baby Turkey Need Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mahlzeit, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Today while I was at work I found a baby wild turkey laying on its side having a hard time getting up. It is fully feathered with fluff remaining on its head. It still makes the baby peeping noises. It was able to fly a bit but when it tries to walk it falls over. It's family was long gone nowhere to be found. So I took it home tried to get it to drink it wasnt really drinking. I'm not really sure what to do from here. Any ideas on why it cant walk without falling? Its really alert and runs/flies when you try to catch it. Any info/advice would be much appreciated.

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Oh no. I wonder if it wasn't injured somehow. I hope it doesn't have any broken bones. Hold the baby and dunk it's beak in water a few times and then observe it to make certain that it is drinking and eating without help. It's probably scared to death, so be patient. Sprinkle food on the floor of the cage for it. Don't get it a buddy, because if it is injured others will peck it to death. You could try to feed it with an eyedropper. It won't open it's beak for you, just drip fluid along the edge of it's beak. Put in a mirror and a small stuffed toy. Are there any wildlife rescue people near you? I'm sending good thoughts your way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by