Found worms! Freaking out!

Hessk

Songster
Oct 6, 2018
South Georgia
Alright, I’m pretty new to the chicken business, I think I got my first chickens about 6 months ago. I spend all of my days trying to make sure they’re happy, healthy, and safe (my husband thinks I belong in a looney bin). I just LOVE them! Yesterday morning when I went out to check on them I found droppings with a few long, thin, white worms entangled within. I added DE into their food along with ACV into their waterer. I have some wormer arriving in the mail but it won’t be here for about a week because of the upcoming holiday. I’m not only freaking out because of my small flock but I’m worried of it spreading to the dogs and most importantly to my two year old son! He’s no longer allowed to “help me” in the chicken area for safety reasons. How contagious are these worms to dogs and humans? I’m so scared we’re all going to contract these parasites.. please share any info you have.

Round worms come from eggs in feces, most likely if the dogs go places the chickens go, that's how the chickens got the worms, so check your dogs stool too.
as long as you don't go barefoot or put dirty fingers in your mouth, you most probably will not contract round worms. There are several very good herbal wormers out there, poison ivy and oak are two of the "strange" ones which goats and hogs are known to use all on their own.

Round worms come from eggs in feces, most likely if the dogs go places the chickens go, that's how the chickens got the worms, so check your dogs stool too.
as long as you don't go barefoot or put dirty fingers in your mouth, you most probably will not contract round worms. There are several very good herbal wormers out there, poison ivy and oak are two of the "strange" ones which goats and hogs are known to use all on their own.
Thank you for your reply. I’ve checked most of the dogs stool (we have an acre so kinda difficult to find all) and I haven’t seen anything. I keep a hand sanitizing station outside the coop and run area so I always sanitize my hands after leaving. Just worried about what my shoes pick up when I walk back to the house.

Wash your hands and keep as much poop as possible off the ground and you should be fine. Make sure your little one stays clean as well. As long as contact with poop or soil that has had poop on it dosen't come in contact with anyone's mouth, eyes, nose or other "openings" your family should stay worm free. Also if your dogs don't have them it is possible your flock ate mice and picked them up from there so be on rodent watch.:)

Wazine will take care of large roundworms only. Dosage is one ounce per gallon of water for one day only.
It's best to withhold water 2 hours before your birds go to roost the night before worming. Then the next morning before you let them out of the coop, ensure the treated water is put out for them to drink. They will be thirsty and will readily drink the treated water. This is very effective in eliminating large roundworms. Then when your birds go to roost for that evening, discard the treated water and provide fresh water for the next day.
Then in 30 days reworm them with Safeguard liquid goat wormer. It'll take care of other types of worms including large roundworms. TSC sells it and should be on the shelf.

You've already gotten good advice about worming the chickens, but I just wanted to point out a few things. DE does nothing at all for internal parasites, ( and it is questionable regarding external parasites). DE "works" as an abrasive that damages the skin and dehydrates on soft bodied pests such as snails and grubs, that is why it is frequently used in gardens. It completely softens up when wet, so it literally can't do anything to worms in the intestines.
Secondly, chicken worms may not be a danger to your toddler, but dog worms are. You would not see worms, unless your dog is overloaded with them. A fecal test by your vet is best. If you have your dog on monthly heart worm protection, you are fine, that will get most intestinal worms as well.
Thirdly, hand sanitizer only kills bacteria, it will not kill or remove worm eggs. Washing with soap and water will do that. Just a little FYI. :)

Back
Top Bottom