Four colors of Starlight Green Eggers

Right? All my birds are either TSC or Cackle šŸ¤· My Australorps have a fantastic temperament, but there's still a couple that come over to be petted or tolerate being held more than others. The Welsummers too, there's a couple that are always first to get picked up, and a couple that are always hardest to catch! Lol. I have two SLWs this year, and the one who looks seriously 'pet quality' is SO FRIENDLY AND SWEET! But her sister who has much better lacing and tail shape for the breed is actually the hardest to catch of the bunch. šŸ¤· But you see how if you are selecting for one thing (egg color, productivity) the breed may suffer in other areas (temperament etc). There are other heritage breeds I want to try for various reasons, including temperament (Dominiques, Buckeyes, Sussex etc) and others I would be more interested in based on egg color (Marans, Legbars, Andalusian etc) and it will remain to be seen how the egg color and temperament, or ease of handling, grid may square off.

ETA and I say "suffer" loosely bc obviously for any given characteristic, i.e. flightiness, that could be an asset for someone with different preferences or style of flock management.
Those flighty and aloof birds/breeds are often the best at evading predators. So if free ranging capability is your goal, those are a good pick.

For birds that are kept confined all the time, even in a spacious run, those breeds can get a little crazy and need more space than others.

If you want a pet chicken from the flighty / aloof breeds, you'll really have to work for it, and even then, it will depend on the individual.

@GPican I think your pale chick may feather out like my Peep, here in the bottom rung! She's just the prettiest lil thing, IMHO šŸ˜
View attachment 3532489View attachment 3532490
Sorry the lighting is kind of dark from the smoke in the air today. :(

I also have a straight up RED chick, but the jury is still out if she's really an SGE or just a RIR who jumped the bin lol so I don't have her pictured here.
Oh my!!! She is beautiful!! I certainly hope mine looks like this!! Ty for sharing!!!!

Progress report. My starlight that I posted earlier has that hatched around May 30 has grown in some beautiful feather colors.
1st 2 pics are June 3 next 2 are June 22 sheā€™s getting so pretty!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5388.jpeg
    IMG_5388.jpeg
    441.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5400.jpeg
    IMG_5400.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5968.jpeg
    IMG_5968.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5965.jpeg
    IMG_5965.jpeg
    455.7 KB · Views: 21
Someone told me 2/3 of mine are actually Rhode Island reds šŸ˜‘ guess we will see when they start laying what color the eggs are lol.
F7FCBE8D-36DA-4D21-A042-209048ACB07D.jpeg

Iā€™m just happy theyā€™re hens, haha! I love them anyway, just was excited for some green eggs. Darn TSC strikes again.
Both of my SGEs that lay green lay a semi-gloss green/light olive medium egg every day. They're a bit flighty, but one of them actually turned out to be a great broody and raised a batch of chicks for me this summer. They're not the friendliest chickens, but I've been very happy with the daily eggs. And the RIR are great layers too, so you should be getting a nice basket! :)

to me, one looks like a barred rock, one a RIR, one a buff orpington, and I dont know about the others
Yep the two little are a barred rock and an Orpington. Theyā€™re about 8 weeks behind the other 3 (the one is actually chasing the Orpington in this picture šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø). The 3 big ones are the ā€œgreen eggersā€ though the two dark brown ones are suspicious RIRs. The mottled lighter brown one in the back next to the greenhouse is the 3rd green egger and kind of looks the most like the description on Hooverā€™s websiteā€¦ but who knows. We had a 4th with that batch that was a leghorn rooster, so we rehomed him and now have the barred rock and Orpington integrating as a ā€œreplacementā€.

And of course, 2 ā€œaccidentalā€ ducks from TSC also, because one was choking and I had to save it šŸ˜¬ theyā€™re both males so no eggs, just pets

Back
Top Bottom