four day old chick going down help!

I have a little four day old chick who arrived in the mail yesterday, its wings are hanging, its wobbling and it appears weak.
What can I do to not loose it!

Keep it warm, hand feed it if it's not eating. Make sure it gets some water. I have given weak chicks cooked eggs and anything I could get them to eat. Sometimes it helps.

Alright, it keeps leaning towards one side like its foot does not want to work.
But i gave it a shot of Kero syrup as I didn't know how to give it the save a chick powder. Its wings are still droopy but its eyes perked up and it shot around the brooder.
I put the save a chick powder in the water, and I stuck the little guy in...well, my bra for a while until she started peeping again. I warmed her up faster then the heat lamp!
However she is still weakish, whay should I do?

Ok, how do I force feed a four day old chick?
She is *I think* the Ancona chick, and all she wants to do is stay under the brooder?
Her legs feel cold to, is that a sign?

I don't know that I'd try to force feed her anything, very easy to choke them. Just keep food and water in front of her, keep her warm and let her sleep a while. I had a chick that acted like that her first day home too. Very sluggish and droopy, just standing around with eyes closed. I made sure she knew where to eat and drink and parked her under the heat lamp. She slept all that day and all night. Next day she was fine. I think she had just gotten tired and cold. And sometimes a chick just isn't right and isn't going to make it no matter what you do. Could go either way.

I don't know that I'd try to force feed her anything, very easy to choke them. Just keep food and water in front of her, keep her warm and let her sleep a while. I had a chick that acted like that her first day home too. Very sluggish and droopy, just standing around with eyes closed. I made sure she knew where to eat and drink and parked her under the heat lamp. She slept all that day and all night. Next day she was fine. I think she had just gotten tired and cold. And sometimes a chick just isn't right and isn't going to make it no matter what you do. Could go either way.

Oh I hope not, I made sure she knows where the water and food is, I just hope that she makes it. I already lost two chicks in this order from them trampling each other...

hmm.png
I have had success with taking a washcloth and dipping it into the save a chick solution. Put it up to the chicks beak and if it likes it it will suck on the cloth. This gets the electrolytes in it without it having to use its energy to get it. True some will not make it no matter what you do. Hope this helps!

Well, I lost the chick, along with four others soon to be five from the looks of another chick.
Maybe I just got a bad batch? :(

hmm.png
I have had success with taking a washcloth and dipping it into the save a chick solution. Put it up to the chicks beak and if it likes it it will suck on the cloth. This gets the electrolytes in it without it having to use its energy to get it. True some will not make it no matter what you do. Hope this helps!

I can try that with the newest chick thats acting weak, thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom