Four days in new coop and chickens refuse to lay in nest box. Advice?

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I feel like I already know the answers here, but still I thought someone could offer up some of their experience. I moved my girls to a new coop and they refuse to lay in the nest boxes. Initially I had some real and fake eggs, 1-2 eggs in three out of eight available nest boxes, and they just lay in the floor. They are all newer layers and in the old coop they were laying in the nest boxes. The new boxes are about 11.5” wide, 12” deep, and up to 12” tall. The boxes are about 6” off the floor.

I also have an extra brooding coop attached to the main coop with nest boxes on the floor. If given access, they will lay in those boxes but I can’t let that continue because I need the space for breeding. When I blocked off those boxes they laid in the floor. I’ve also caught one about to lay and repeatedly picked her up and showed her the correct nest box.

After four days I’ve picked up each egg that had been laid and put it in a nest box. Will too many eggs deter them? Will their behavior ever change? I don’t want to leave them locked up longer than necessary. This is causing more anxiety than it should lol.

Where I want them to lay:
6D7636FF-2413-4266-8585-8F0DD1F3296C.jpeg

Where they had been laying until I blocked the boxes:
8DF41FBB-428A-4E8A-B65D-273EC6DDE2C4.jpeg

And yes, they have coop litter now.
0ACB6C27-AF21-4E60-863C-FE81D22FA549.jpeg

Can't make any recommendations on getting them to lay in the nesting boxes, except put their eggs in there and they will catch on. My little beilefelder was laying eggs on the ground and I kept sticking them in the 5 gallon bucket... several days later she accommodated me by laying her eggs in the bucket. BTW, Gorgeous coop.. nicely done!

How dare they not lay in those beautiful nest boxes you have supplied! Try adding some hay and a fake egg. Don't be surprised if they all decide to use one nest box. Pullet just starting to lay will drop an egg here and there and once they learn where to lay an egg they are pretty consistent in where they lay.

Can't make any recommendations on getting them to lay in the nesting boxes, except put their eggs in there and they will catch on. My little beilefelder was laying eggs on the ground and I kept sticking them in the 5 gallon bucket... several days later she accommodated me by laying her eggs in the bucket. BTW, Gorgeous coop.. nicely done!

Thank you. I am probably worrying too early. I wouldn’t worry at all if they hadn’t started laying in the “wrong” boxes lol. It makes me worry they simply don’t like the new boxes! Their old coop had nesting boxes on the ground. Perhaps they don’t like the change?

How dare they not lay in those beautiful nest boxes you have supplied! Try adding some hay and a fake egg. Don't be surprised if they all decide to use one nest box. Pullet just starting to lay will drop an egg here and there and once they learn where to lay an egg they are pretty consistent in where they lay.

At this rate though I may as well try adding pine shavings.

I thought about adding pine shavings, but since they laid on the AstroTurf in the other boxes, I figured that wasn’t their issue. I have also had pullets in earlier times drop eggs on the ground and learn to lay in the box, but these girls were already laying in nesting boxes and quickly ID-ed the brooder pen. I kept the brooder pen closed off for 24 hours so on day 1 they laid in the floor. On day 2 I gave them access to the smaller coop and they all laid in those boxes. On day 3 I blocked them and they laid in the floor. Today is day four. There are probably 10 eggs dispersed in the new boxes and I’m at work so I don’t know what I will find when I get home.

Thank you. I am probably worrying too early. I wouldn’t worry at all if they hadn’t started laying in the “wrong” boxes lol. It makes me worry they simply don’t like the new boxes! Their old coop had nesting boxes on the ground. Perhaps they don’t like the change?
Believe it or not they do become acquainted with the new surroundings and settle in. I have a young cockerel that lost a wing (had to have it amputated) and he's becoming very familiar with the house routine.. Stuck a dirt bath tub on the floor for him yesterday, and by this morning he was in it, chunking dirt and shavings everywhere. He still has not figured out how to upright himself if he's on his wingless side, or if he lands on his back (he's done that too).. but he's a smart cookie and I know he'll figure it out. Sooner or later.

Believe it or not they do become acquainted with the new surroundings and settle in. I have a young cockerel that lost a wing (had to have it amputated) and he's becoming very familiar with the house routine.. Stuck a dirt bath tub on the floor for him yesterday, and by this morning he was in it, chunking dirt and shavings everywhere. He still has not figured out how to upright himself if he's on his wingless side, or if he lands on his back (he's done that too).. but he's a smart cookie and I know he'll figure it out. Sooner or later.

Poor baby. I had a pullet with some broken bones on her right side. I believe it was both her wing and ribs that were broke. She healed quite lopsided and can’t flap very well. It took her quite a few months to adjust to her new normal, but she understands her limitations.

Poor baby. I had a pullet with some broken bones on her right side. I believe it was both her wing and ribs that were broke. She healed quite lopsided and can’t flap very well. It took her quite a few months to adjust to her new normal, but she understands her limitations.
I had 3 chicks in the grow out pen (he was one of them) and the two cockerels were starting to battle over the one pullet... so I moved him in the the pen with the pullets, one 23 and two 18 weeks old. One of the young pullets was picking on him, and he got himself caught between the pen and the breeding box, breaking the left wing to where the bone was sticking out. I had just lost a roo and a hen to a possum (now deceased as well) and couldn't lose one of my babies, so took him to the vet who amputated the wing. He's done great as far as healing goes, but still gets himself into difficult situations... Could be because of the slickery floor (hardwood).. I'm hoping he will figure things out for himself soon so he can go be with the ladies.

Back
Top Bottom