Four Week Old Chicks - Pecking Causing Bleeding

BrambleBerry

Chirping
Aug 21, 2016
California
I have a four(ish)-week-old mixed flock of 12 chicks.
I have 2 silkies, 1 old English bantam, 2 Brahmas, 1 buff Orpington, 1 Rhode island red, 1 barred rock, 1 australorp, 1 black sex link, 1 easter egger, and 1 speckled Sussex.

The smallest of our chicks, which we think is a Bantam old English Game named Fawks, has for over a week been just walking around pecking at the feathers of all the other chicks. The other chicks just seem to just ignore her entirely and don't even move away from her when she pecks them. Today I noticed blood on Fawks' beak and upon further inspection saw that one of my Brahmas, Amalia, had blood all down the back of her and was missing most of the new feathers on her back above her tailfeathers. Fawks started pecking at her again while I was watching, and Amalia just sat there and ignored her. None of the other chicks are pecking each other.

I'm new to chickens. What can I, should I do?

60423520_455171051724308_8767236047479242752_n.jpg
The damage to Amalia.

60317504_847252382322770_5923893317283610624_n.jpg
The offending chick, Fawks.

A video of Fawks picking at our Buff Orpington, Goldie.

Old English Game chickens are feisty for being top of pecking order. I would separate that one right away . For the chickens who are hurt, use Blu Kote with a dabber . It treats the wound , helps healing, and hides the red blood color which attracts more pecking.

Old English Game chickens are feisty for being top of pecking order. I would separate that one right away . For the chickens who are hurt, use Blu Kote with a dabber . It treats the wound , helps healing, and hides the red blood color which attracts more pecking.

Damn. :( She was in a mixed bantam group and we were told she was an Ameraucana when we got her. Are you suggesting we keep her alone? She freaks out when I separate her from the rest of the flock. :( Man I was hoping that since she was the smallest it would keep any feistiness in check.

I separated her for 24hrs and put her back and she seems to have chilled out and I have not seen any more pecking. Will be keeping an eye extra cautious on her though!

Back
Top Bottom