Four week update on my power rangers

SandraMort

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
ny
Today is four weeks old and we are ready for a growth spurt!!! My biggest fellows look like this:

90eb5fa843c4.jpeg

My runt, however, is still looking mighty small. His head and wings are disproportionately small to his belly and has almost no feathers. He also has some Blue Kote over a scratch that I was hoping to avoid the other chickens noticing, in case anyone wonders why he's blue...

ecd8bbea3823.jpeg

50a6351aaec7.jpeg

If he survives, and I'm not entirely sure he will, and he's a girl, I'll keep her. If she turns out to be a boy, I'll call the local animal sanctuary. I don't mind the idea of killing him for meat if he's enough for a meal but I doubt he'll fill out enough and killing him for being small seems unfair. I've already told my landlady I will only have one or two roos... and I'll be darned if those are ones I can't let breed. Not to mention that he'll probably end up fighting. It's just a bad situation brewing.

Why wouldn't you be able to eat a small chicken? We eat grouse , and they are small birds-quite tasty too i might add, and also I have butchered bantams before to eat. Noting wrong with them.

JMO

He/she will fill out, you will see! I had some scrawny rangers, but they chunk up just like the rest, just takes a bit longer. Get ready for a big growth spurt the next couple of weeks- you will be shocked. As for the feathers, I had some that looked liek that too-they filled in quickly, a week or two.

I just took a scale out and was rather surprised. Scrawny is over 8 ounces and the fattest ones I could catch were all over 1 lb. Some of the moderate ones were more like 14-15 ounces. Didn't bother weighing the littlest.

For comparison's sake, the brahma and EE born at the beginning of august (basically 2 mos) are 7 or 8 and 5 ounces. They sure do grow slowly!!! When can I begin to range them safely?

Back
Top Bottom