HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Premium Feather Member
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
Well, this is something I did not plan for. I've only raised CX in the past and have never had anyone crow before processing day. This morning, I go out to feed and water my nearly 6 week old Rainbow Rangers (Meyer Hatchery) and someone is trying to crow! It's that baby crow that isn't too loud, but it's coming from one that is certainly a male so I know it will only get louder. I live in the city of Cleveland so we aren't allowed roosters.

"If you crow, you go" will likely have to apply here, but my question is, how long until it is a full-on cocka doodle doo? This was a baby crow and he mostly quieted once I fed him. I can't hear him from inside my house right now. But how long until it's too loud? He's so tiny that processing him would be a waste and I also feel bad he's so young.

I'm feeding 18% right now to keep a natural growth pattern, but I'm wondering if I should go grab a small bag of higher protein to fatten this guy up before he has to be processed.

He'd be a Cornish Game "hen" if he's small, but not huge. Do you have pictures of the meaties?

Cornish Game Hens bought at the store aren't even female, anyway. They're actually Cornish X cockerels butchered early.

..but my question is, how long until it is a full-on cocka doodle doo?

I'm feeding 18% right now to keep a natural growth pattern, but I'm wondering if I should go grab a small bag of higher protein to fatten this guy up before he has to be processed.
We run Freedom Rangers as straight run and just cockerels. Around 8~ weeks the crowing is at volume, so if their growth rates are the same, probably in that range. Meyer has good support, I'd give them a call or an email and ask this to them as well.
For bumping protein, here are some of my tricks, that might help. 1. canned sardines (whole skin on/bone in.) Adds very high-quality protein and fats. 2. I ferment dairy kefir, and I add a splash of the finished kefir or the whey which is high in protein and a great probiotic.

He'd be a Cornish Game "hen" if he's small, but not huge. Do you have pictures of the meaties?

Cornish Game Hens bought at the store aren't even female, anyway. They're actually Cornish X cockerels butchered early.
That's a good way to think of it. He is probably about Cornish hen size right now. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. Today ended up being real busy.
We run Freedom Rangers as straight run and just cockerels. Around 8~ weeks the crowing is at volume, so if their growth rates are the same, probably in that range. Meyer has good support, I'd give them a call or an email and ask this to them as well.
For bumping protein, here are some of my tricks, that might help. 1. canned sardines (whole skin on/bone in.) Adds very high-quality protein and fats. 2. I ferment dairy kefir, and I add a splash of the finished kefir or the whey which is high in protein and a great probiotic.
Good idea. Meyer is very responsive so I'll give them a call.

And thanks for the ideas! I actually was just feeding them some mackerel the other day because I was giving it to my molting layer hens. I also have some canned sardines and salmon I can give them. Also, I make yogurt and kefir so I'll give some of that. I really need to start fermenting feed too.

That's a good way to think of it. He is probably about Cornish hen size right now. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. Today ended up being real busy.

Good idea. Meyer is very responsive so I'll give them a call.

And thanks for the ideas! I actually was just feeding them some mackerel the other day because I was giving it to my molting layer hens. I also have some canned sardines and salmon I can give them. Also, I make yogurt and kefir so I'll give some of that. I really need to start fermenting feed too.
It is.

That's decently early for the crowing to begin. It depends on the bird, but my cockerels usually take around 2 to 3 weeks before they develop a decently loud crow. For a while it will be a weird screeching sound. But they will work away at it, and it will get louder and louder each day.

How understanding are your neighbors? I might knock on a couple of doors and explain that you have some 6 weeks old chicks, but one appears to be an early blooming cockerel. Let them know that you are aware of the situation and have plan to relocate the boy before it gets loud (you don't have to tell them that you are relocating him to your freezer).

Last edited:
That's decently early for the crowing to begin. It depends on the bird, but my cockerels usually take around 2 to 3 weeks before they develop a decently loud crow. For a while it will be a weird screeching sound. But they will work away at it, and it will get louder and each day.

How understanding are your neighbors? I might knock on a couple of doors and explain that you have some 6 weeks old chicks, but one appears to be an early blooming cockerel. Let them know that but aware of the situation and have plan to relocate the boy before it gets loud (you don't have to tell them that they are relocating him to your freezer).
Good idea. Yeah my immediate neighbors are very understanding of the chicken noises coming from my yard, but it's such a close neighborhood that I think having a real loud crow would be a lot to expect them to put up with. I like the idea of saying I am going to relocate him though. Yeah, I am relocating him to my freezer, but at least when I say "relocating", I'm not actually lying to anyone. I can just spare the details.

Yeah, I am relocating him to my freezer, but at least when I say "relocating", I'm not actually lying to anyone. I can just spare the details.
And if they ask, "where are you relocating him to?" You can honestly say, "to a place where he will be surrounded by other chickens and much appreciated."

Since he will be butchered in the not too distant future I would not worry about it. It will be a bit before he is loud. If anyone complains, apologize and tell them that you have to take whatever the hatchery sends you and there are usually a few roosters in the bunch. Say that the offending party is already scheduled for the butcher. Most people understand that when things are done by appointment you have to follow the appointment,

Not the best pics ever, but they are very skittish.
signal-2023-10-29-16-31-48-144.jpg

signal-2023-10-29-16-32-12-170.jpg

I think I somehow only have one female in the group. All but one have some pretty serious comb/wattle development going on.

I weighed the largest one, which I'm assuming is the one that crowed. He was 3 lbs, 13 oz. Almost 4 lbs at 5 weeks. Not bad! If I process him, that could still be a good meal for my husband and I.

Back
Top Bottom