Fowl mites under control ?

No worse than airborne DE or mite infestation.
Get it on their skin.
And aart thank you so much for taking your time to help I really ALWAYS appreciate your advice!! But this time, the dust seems like a risk to human health I can’t take. Even reading this https://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/3422.pdf warns not to sweep it, cautions that it has shown to cause reproductive harm in males, and the first aid and implications of respiratory exposure are very different than DE. For those reasons, I was wondering if anyone had an alternate solution that’s worked for them besides permethrin dust, and/or how they applied the spray/dip in winter. Thanks again for your insight, I really do value your experience and insights.

And aart thank you so much for taking your time to help I really ALWAYS appreciate your advice!! But this time, the dust seems like a risk to human health I can’t take. Even reading this https://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/3422.pdf warns not to sweep it, cautions that it has shown to cause reproductive harm in males, and the first aid and implications of respiratory exposure are very different than DE. For those reasons, I was wondering if anyone had an alternate solution that’s worked for them besides permethrin dust, and/or how they applied the spray/dip in winter. Thanks again for your insight, I really do value your experience and insights.
It's up to you.
I've read too many stories about mite and lice infestations becoming dire after trying to treat with DE.
I've used premethrin dust more than a few times for lice, 2-3 treatments 7-10 days apart, and my males were still fertile and no obvious respiratory issues in the flock.

It's up to you.
I've read too many stories about mite and lice infestations becoming dire after trying to treat with DE.
I've used premethrin dust more than a few times for lice, 2-3 treatments 7-10 days apart, and my males were still fertile and no obvious respiratory issues in the flock.
I hear you. I definitely take your advice seriously. Thanks aart. The mites are not dire at this point and I won’t let it get to be. I will follow your advice. Thanks for your time and help.

Also, was thinking if I focused on killing the mites on the birds, the pests can’t live more than 3 weeks in the coop itself, so the ones in the coop over time will starve?
Depends on exactly which mite you are dealing with. Some may not live more than 3 weeks in the coop itself - they rely on a Host, but the Hosts (your chickens) are still there! So the life cycle continues. Mites may be able to go dormant and live up to 8 months without a host. But then again...your coop is not empty, so there's really no need for them to go dormant.

I can appreciate your hesitancy for using pesticides. Dusting the hen with a Permethrin based poultry dust and working the dust into the crevices of their housing is what I would do in freezing weather. Personally I like using spray for housing, dust for the birds themselves.
Imho, DE is dusty too. It's not a product that I would personally use. Too many folks here on BYC have expressed frustration and sometimes bewilderment that their hens STILL have lice/mites when they have used DE and/or other remedies. These things may have their place in deterring external parasites, but once there's an infestation pesticides are needed unfortunately.
Spinosad (Elector PSP) is another product many use with good results. I have not used it, I've found that for me, Permethrin has been all that I have needed.
Cleaned out bedding and put DE down. It’s below freezing here so we worry about applying the water based pesticides, they won’t dry, just freeze. Dusting with pesticides makes me really nervous about prolonged airborne permethrin. What do you think? Thank you for your help. ☺️

Depends on exactly which mite you are dealing with. Some may not live more than 3 weeks in the coop itself - they rely on a Host, but the Hosts (your chickens) are still there! So the life cycle continues. Mites may be able to go dormant and live up to 8 months without a host. But then again...your coop is not empty, so there's really no need for them to go dormant.

I can appreciate your hesitancy for using pesticides. Dusting the hen with a Permethrin based poultry dust and working the dust into the crevices of their housing is what I would do in freezing weather. Personally I like using spray for housing, dust for the birds themselves.
Imho, DE is dusty too. It's not a product that I would personally use. Too many folks here on BYC have expressed frustration and sometimes bewilderment that their hens STILL have lice/mites when they have used DE and/or other remedies. These things may have their place in deterring external parasites, but once there's an infestation pesticides are needed unfortunately.
Spinosad (Elector PSP) is another product many use with good results. I have not used it, I've found that for me, Permethrin has been all that I have needed.
Thank you wyorp, I very much appreciate and respect your good advice. Do you have a specific product you’d recommend for the P. Dust? Do you wear a dust mask or respirator?

Thank you wyorp, I very much appreciate and respect your good advice. Do you have a specific product you’d recommend for the P. Dust? Do you wear a dust mask or respirator?
You can find Permethrin based poultry dust at TSC. Depending on region, they may carry different "brands" but what I have pictured is what I have. Dust for the birds and I mix up the concentrate per package directions to spray housing, making sure to get it into nooks/crannies of nesting boxes, where roosting bars are attached, etc.
Sometimes I do wear a dust mask (N95) when applying the dust, it's a good idea to do that. I put the dust in a sock (some put it in pantyhose). I hold the bird, gently spread her feathers up and tap the sock on her body to release the dust, tap tap tap all over her, then I work the dust into her feathers and onto the skin the best that I can. With the sock I feel like I can target areas better and for me it's easier to dispense than trying to hold a can and sprinkle it. When I'm done, I put the dust filled sock in a quart mason jar or other container with a lid, store it for next time.

Wearing a mask when you dust the chickens, clean up their poop, rake bedding, etc. etc. is always a good idea. Chickens are naturally dusty, poop dries crumbles and becomes part of the dust/dirt particle that you breath when cleaning.

1640490227258.png
1640490255399.png

Tonight’s update: have been directly applying DE to vents and under wings nightly with the Harris puffer. Tonight there were NO mites on any vents, on or under roosts, or in cracks or crevasses. I looked VERY carefully using a bright headlamp. No mites on necks/backs/chests/bellies. No scabby or red skin, and no clumps of mite poop. Some nits on one bird. Having vet come over on weds to check the flock. She will probably advise permethrin anyway 😂. Just wanted to keep you posted on the progress.

Tonight’s update: the vet just checked out the flock. She found NO MITES!!! I have been applying DE directly to vents/under wings. Vet agreed no infestation at this point, and could not find mites in coop. It’s nighttime now. When the mites were at their worst, there were mites swarming vents.

Vet recommended continue DE treatment (she agreed it was effective!!) AND ivermectin drench (3-4 rounds of this) to eliminate mites through potential generations.

Just wanted to give update and let folx know our experience in dealing with these little critters. Thank you ALL for your help. ❤️

Tonight’s update: the vet just checked out the flock. She found NO MITES!!! I have been applying DE directly to vents/under wings. Vet agreed no infestation at this point, and could not find mites in coop. It’s nighttime now. When the mites were at their worst, there were mites swarming vents.

Vet recommended continue DE treatment (she agreed it was effective!!) AND ivermectin drench (3-4 rounds of this) to eliminate mites through potential generations.

Just wanted to give update and let folx know our experience in dealing with these little critters. Thank you ALL for your help. ❤️
Great! Glad there's no mites.
So you've been applying DE almost everyday to the hens and inside the coop?

Great! Glad there's no mites.
So you've been applying DE almost everyday to the hens and inside the coop?
Thanks Wyorp!! No, I have not applied DE to coop since this specific mite spends its life on the chicken. Have directly applied DE to vents and underneath wings total of about 5 times so far using a DE applicator (every day to every other day). This has really minimized the overall amount of DE I have had to use. So far so good, but it’s my hope to keep this thread updated with how things go short/middle/long term.

Back
Top Bottom