Fowl mites under control ?

Why the ivermectin if the DE is effective?
How and where will you apply the "drench"?
Hi Aart!! We shall see how this goes! I will keep you posted. Ivermectin to ensure multi-generational coverage for mites. Two pronged approach seems reasonable. Why is drench in quotes? Ivermectin is many times given as a drench in drinking water. Our plan is to administer over 2 days in one week intervals. A drench is any fluid drug administered by mouth.

Why is drench in quotes?
Was quoting the term you used.

Ivermectin is many times given as a drench in drinking water. Our plan is to administer over 2 days in one week intervals. A drench is any fluid drug administered by mouth.
Yes, I understand that drench means liquid by mouth, usually tubed rather than in drinking water. Liquid ivermectin is also applied topically to birds skin.

Hi again Aart!! Thanks for your post. We actually had a hard time finding the pour-on to put topically on their skin. The pour on and drench are two very different products, and since it was hard for us to find the pour-on we had to go with the drench formula. I started this thread to document our approach to mite management and to see what works short/mid/long term using this particular approach. We are also working under the advice of an experienced vet. It’s working so far, and I am excited to document however it turns out. It’s a win win; we learn things if it does work out and we learn things if it doesn’t work out. I always appreciate your insight!!

Update: we haven’t seen a mite since Dec. we closely inspect birds and coop every night using a very bright headlamp and paper towels (stain check on roosts). We are now directly applying DE with Harris puffer every 2-3 nights. We have decided to hold off on ivermectin drench at this time as we don’t see any evidence of mites anymore. Will continue until time has lapsed through 3 mite life cycles.

Update on mites: after one WILD day on the farm I am happy to report that our flock still remains mite free. We have long since stopped all DE application (would have to read back in thread to remember exactly how long ago the application stopped).

I would consider this medium term reporting, I think the real test will come once the weather warms up. Again, I’m keeping this thread updated for informational purposes only, if our way of ridding the birds of mites works, we will have data, if it doesn’t work, we will still have data. ☺️

While treating your birds please tell me how you keep the mites from totally infesting your clothes, hair and bodies and the inside of your home?? I just discovered my flock of 30 chickens are covered with these mites. Prior to my discovery I thought I had head lice that wouldn't go away. Now I know it was the mites. I dont want to go near their coop or them. Those things swarm my arms after just a quick pet or collecting the eggs. I'm ready to cull them all and burn down the Coop. As I am writing this I feel like I'm covered in bugs.

Back
Top Bottom