Fowl Pox!!! Another one is about to die!!

sunnysongbird

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Hello, my baby chicks that are ~4 weeks old have Fowl pox because we live in a very mosquito filled climate. I have had one already die of it (such a terrible death), and I am willing to save my others. There is one chick who has such trouble breathing and I really fear for him. He won't eat or drink anything! I've tried feeding him water, but there are bumps on his eyes and he can't see and a HUGE wart on his nostril and breathing is so difficult for him! He cries in fear and my heart is so sunk. All he does is sleep and has irregular breathing patterns. How can I help him? I went to the avian pox page https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-diseases-AvianPox.html and it says there is no cure. What is the most I can do for him? The whole flock has bumps and I don't want them to also end up dying, so how do I help them too? The bumps/warts are HUGE and red, on their beaks and their backs and their tiny combs that have started developing. Please help a young chicken lover out!

another one died in my hands just a few seconds ago.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
is there any end to this terrible fowl pox??

I know there is a vaccine that can be given to yong chicks don't know if effective after they have it or not. So sorry I know what you're going thru, I've lost 3 young chickens to wet pox last few weeks. Have 2 more that may have it but the rest seem unaffected, think they must have had the vaccine. There's not much you can do, probably worse for the babies. Maybe try call a vet and see about the vaccine? I know it can be ordered online.

Separate those who are ill from those who are not. For those who have no signs of pox, rub a layer of vaseline on exposed skin. Makes it harder for the mosquitos to bite them. For any with external lesions, put iodine on each lesion.

For all with internal lesions, get the original, nasty tasting listerine. At least twice a day swab the throats of any that have lesions in their mouths. This will be painful, and may cause some bleeding. However, each time you swab, you should be able to remove more of the diptheria-like tissue that blocks breathing and eating. And it will seem to hurt less. For those with wet pox, add an antibiotic to their drinking water to ward off secondary bacterial infections. Consider doing htis for all the birds with pox, not just those with the wet form.

Spray for mosquitoes, nightly if needed; use no-pest strips and/or Country Vet automatic mosquito sprayers. Remove or treat all standing water (mosquito breeding grounds) with mosquito dunks. Treat the birds with ivermectin as all biting insects (including mites) can spread the virus.

thank you everyone! I am actually out of country right now and i don't believe they have vaccinations for poultry here. So I will do the best I can, and rub vaseline on them and at least try to save the others. we have had a death every day, it's getting to be really bad. thank you for helping everyone
smile.png
I hope the sun shines tomorrow for our coop and every day after that.

Back
Top Bottom