Fowl Pox can do this?

Mandy020386

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 4, 2014
Texas
I have already lost 2 hens to the pox. I have 2 more that I keep in the house at night trying to keep them out of the cold. All my hens have been exposed to the pox and most are showing little symptoms. But one looked as if she was getting better but took a turn. Each hen that had the pox bad had swollen eyes shut. A few days ago they each had one eye open. Now one has a swollen puss filled eye. She sleeps most of the day but she eats and drinks. I don't know if anyone had an experience with this before but I need advice.
[/IMG][/IMG]

I have already lost 2 hens to the pox. I have 2 more that I keep in the house at night trying to keep them out of the cold. All my hens have been exposed to the pox and most are showing little symptoms. But one looked as if she was getting better but took a turn. Each hen that had the pox bad had swollen eyes shut. A few days ago they each had one eye open. Now one has a swollen puss filled eye. She sleeps most of the day but she eats and drinks. I don't know if anyone had an experience with this before but I need advice.
[/URL]
She definitely has fowl pox. Perhaps she scratched her eye due to the closeness of a pox nodule irritating her eye, then the eye became infected after she scratched it. If this is the case; liberally flush the eye with saline solution and put terramycin eye ointment in her eye for about 5 days and observe for improvement.
You mentioned that other hens had swollen eyes shut that had a bad case of pox. I find it odd that there would be more birds with swollen eyes. Coincidence...perhaps. But there might be a respiratory disease also going through your flock.
If there isnt any improvement with the terramycin eye ointment after 5 days, purchase tylan 50 injectable and put one drop in her eye twice a day for 5 days. Then also give her 1/2cc tylan 50 injectable orally once a day for 5-7 days, dont dose her no more than 7 days.

She definitely has fowl pox. Perhaps she scratched her eye due to the closeness of a pox nodule irritating her eye, then the eye became infected after she scratched it. If this is the case; liberally flush the eye with saline solution and put terramycin eye ointment in her eye for about 5 days and observe for improvement.
You mentioned that other hens had swollen eyes shut that had a bad case of pox. I find it odd that there would be more birds with swollen eyes. Coincidence...perhaps. But there might be a respiratory disease also going through your flock.
If there isnt any improvement with the terramycin eye ointment after 5 days, purchase tylan 50 injectable and put one drop in her eye twice a day for 5 days. Then also give her 1/2cc tylan 50 injectable orally once a day for 5-7 days, dont dose her no more than 7 days.

The eyes on the others were more scabbed over. I do see them scratching I have antibiotics that I can give her. I assume the two that died had the wet pox not dry. They had the scabs too. So sad I am trying so hard to keep them alive and healthy

how did the eyes heal up. I have a chick with a really swollen eye from pox (i think) 2 weeks in and its healing but still HUGE

Do you think she will lose sight in her eye

Back
Top Bottom