Fowl Pox....can it be cured?

rskellenger54

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 5, 2010
I just realized my girls have this.....I was thinking all was well and it was just part of their comb, but it's not....now I have guilt and worry! They are 6 months old....just seems to be on their comb for now....what can I do? I read the definition on this web page, but not sure what to do next....any help would be appreciated.....we live in FL.....

I just realized mine have it as well. Searching here and talking to a relative that has been raising chickens for many years there is nothing to do. The dry version (which is what I have and you are describing) isn't generally harmful. Egg production will suffer for a couple of weeks and it will clear up on its own. Mine seem perfectly healthy except for the spots and lower production. Good thing is once they get it they won't get it again.

Last edited:
Quote:
You can put iodine on the scabs/nodules to help dry them up (be very careful using it around their eyes and nostril.) Dont treat with antibiotics, fowl pox is a virus and they wont help unless there's a secondary bacterial infection. BrianM is correct...it'll go away on its own in time.

dawg53 is right on, as usual. I had a couple get a bit infected looking near the eyes, so I used Neosporin instead of Betadine on those lesions, which is not irritating to eyes.

Back
Top Bottom