Fowl pox developing into something else? [UPDATED PICS ADDED!!]

shannybell

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2012
Wilsonville, AL
I have 7 month old Polish roo and 2 hens who have a respiratory issue that is getting pretty bad. The roo started showing signs of fowl pox first with just a couple of black spots on his comb and wattle and then of the wet variety with some gurgling sounds and some tiny lesions visible inside his mouth. Then one of my Polish hen's eyes started to run and then another hen's nose. I took these three out from the rest of my mixed flock of 25 and quarantined them. I started them on some liquid antibiotics that the local feed store sold me given in their water and I've done that for four days but they are getting worse.

I'm not sure what they have come down with, so I don't know what to treat them with. Is there one good strong antibiotic I could give them that would be best to try first, say if they did have coryza, mycoplasma, Newcastle or some terrible thing like that?

They are still eating okay and still eating their snacks and yogurt. So I guess that is a good thing.
The Roo has runny eyes, gurgling sounds and runny nose.
One hen has runny nose and scabby type things forming on her nose. When I wipe them, they bleed.

Here is the other hen with runny eyes, not so much runny nose:

I will take and post pics of the others this evening. I am growing wearing worrying myself to death constantly changing clothes and shoes, trying not to cross contaminate my healthy birds. I couldn't imagine all of my birds being sick like this!! :(

So about the antibiotics?? What would be best to give? Thanks for ANY help...
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Almost all of my chickens had the Fowl Pox and only 1 Rooster developed a respritory problem. His eye was foaming and he was wheezing and could not crow. It was pitiful. I started him on Tetracycline soluble antibiotic and he was well within 3 days. It is alot less expensive than other antibiotics that were suggested so I started with it first. They carry it at my local feed store so hopefully you will be able to find it with no problem.

Here are pics of all three of them after four days/doses of Baytril:

This is the hen pictured in my first post. She is looking much better I think.

Here is my roo who is also improving:

Then here is the other hen who is still acting okay but still doesn't look good at all. ANY opinions about what is going on with her are welcomed. These big scabby places on top and bottom of her beak are puzzling to me. And now she has these open sores on around her eye too. In the photo, she just had her eye shut because I was standing in the sun. It isn't swollen shut or anything like that. It opens fine and she is still bright eyed. Then Baytril doesn't seem to have helped her much though.

Will I ever be able to put any of these birds back with the rest of my flock? I am growing so weary of changing clothes, shoes, gloves, etc just to go in and have any contact with these little guys right now... *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom