Fowl Pox - Eyes completely shut

Stynieke

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 24, 2018
Belgium
Hey All,

So one of my girls got the fowl pox. (Others had it, but they had no problems - as it didn't cover their eyes).

Her's, however, covered her eyes, and they're completely shut because of it. So she doesn't eat or drink all day.

This happened saturdaymorning. Ever since we've been covering her eyes twice a day with iso-betadine
https://www.maddelin.be/en/iso-betadine-dermicum.html

However, she's very fisty and never got her to be docile. I've been trying to forcefeed her (as she doesn't eat anything), but it's impossible to do so. She keeps shaking her head violently - and can't keep her head that well because of the wounds on her eyes. So it's impossible to keep her mouth open.

I've been trying to spray water with multivitamines with a syringe in her mouth, little by little. (more like dropping it on her closed beak) I think some gets in, but not nearly enough. Also been trying to keep her beak in half an egg so she gets some of the yolk. She occasionally seems to get a little in, but I'm talking micrograms here.

Any suggestions on what to do ? I'm guessing it'll get easier when she gets inevitably weaker...

What would be best to give her in this situation? Yogurt? Just keep trying to give eggs? Forcefeeding seems impossible with her.

thanks..

Hey All,

So one of my girls got the fowl pox. (Others had it, but they had no problems - as it didn't cover their eyes).

Her's, however, covered her eyes, and they're completely shut because of it. So she doesn't eat or drink all day.

This happened saturdaymorning. Ever since we've been covering her eyes twice a day with iso-betadine
https://www.maddelin.be/en/iso-betadine-dermicum.html

However, she's very fisty and never got her to be docile. I've been trying to forcefeed her (as she doesn't eat anything), but it's impossible to do so. She keeps shaking her head violently - and can't keep her head that well because of the wounds on her eyes. So it's impossible to keep her mouth open.

I've been trying to spray water with multivitamines with a syringe in her mouth, little by little. (more like dropping it on her closed beak) I think some gets in, but not nearly enough. Also been trying to keep her beak in half an egg so she gets some of the yolk. She occasionally seems to get a little in, but I'm talking micrograms here.

Any suggestions on what to do ? I'm guessing it'll get easier when she gets inevitably weaker...

What would be best to give her in this situation? Yogurt? Just keep trying to give eggs? Forcefeeding seems impossible with her.

thanks..
Can you have someone assist you in holding her while you try to syringe feed her? Yogurt mixed with raw yolk would be your best bet right now until she starts eating by herself. We just dealt with a nasty case of pox as well and the scabs got to our silkies' eyes- I don't believe they stopped eating though. The scabs should heal up in a couple days and if there's no underlying issue, your hen's eyes should reopen soon.

Can you have someone assist you in holding her while you try to syringe feed her? Yogurt mixed with raw yolk would be your best bet right now until she starts eating by herself. We just dealt with a nasty case of pox as well and the scabs got to our silkies' eyes- I don't believe they stopped eating though. The scabs should heal up in a couple days and if there's no underlying issue, your hen's eyes should reopen soon.

I'm the one that holds the chicken and try to hold her beak (which seems impossible as she's shaking so violently when she feels I'm trying to open it, I'm scared of hurting her).
GF tries to get some water/food in her mouth through a syringe in the meantime.

I'll get some yogurt after work and mix it with egg yolk and try to syringe that into her beak tonight. Mother in law just texted that she was able to get some wet bread in her an hour ago.

Hopefully they (or atleast one eye) heals up soon... At work so can't post a picture right now.
Thank you for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom