FOWL POX! HELP!

Chickensss_25

Chirping
Apr 18, 2021
I have 3 chickens that are infected with fowl pox. One of them has it for sure because it got quite bad already but the other 2 are barely getting it! I separated the other 2 already but im wondering if i should just put all 3 of the infected ones together?? Will it affect the ones that barely have symptoms? Or does it not matter? Help!

If she is already as bad as you say, she has already infected the others. Fowl pox spreads through the air from one chicken to the next.
Ugh it spreads in the air?? I thought through contact! Like if one of them had cuts then I thought it could get it since it had open wounds. So i should just leave them all together?

Ugh it spreads in the air?? I thought through contact! Like if one of them had cuts then I thought it could get it since it had open wounds. So i should just leave them all together?
Through the air or contact. The spreading mainly happens though the air once one gets fowl pox from another flock or a mosquito.
It would be less stressful to keep them together.
Are you putting iodine on the scabs that aren’t on the eyes?

I have to disagree. Pox is spread from a mosquito or other insect bite, and by disturbing the scabs, such as pecking. It can be aerosolized however, if the scabs fall off, dry out and become powdery. Then if inhaled, it can affect another chicken. This is how it might infect others months from now.

It may help to separate the ones with pox. A vaccine can help if given to ones not exposed. Can you post some pictures of the pox scabs?

I'm going through this too. So if you saw symptoms on one or two chickens in flock of 15, would you vaccinate the rest at that point?

I'm not positive, but is this it? She's lethargic too.

Attachments

• IMG_7908.jpeg
    IMG_7908.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom