Fowl Pox - How old before you can vaccinate?

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
Bought a cute little OEGB pair from a man who was moving and couldn't take them with. When i went to look at them a week ago, i noticed a few small yellow marks on the roo's comb. He brought them to me over the weekend, and now i see a few scabs on the roo's comb. So, 99% sure it's fowl pox. i have all my older birds vaccinated, but have about 20 young adults and 20 chicks that have not been.

i ordered the vaccine from Strombergs (a LOT cheaper than Murray McMurray, $15 vs almost $50 with shipping) and it will be here probably by end of week. The lady at Strombergs said the instructions noted you can vaccinate 6 weeks and above. My two youngest chicks will be 5 weeks by Saturday. Just wondering if others have vaccinated at 5 weeks? Since the vaccine contains 1,000 doses, and once you mix it you have to use it all within a day or so . . . would hate to have to buy another whole batch in a week or so for just two chicks.

Oh, also, what might be recommended as an antibiotic to put in the water of the infected roo and mate to prevent any secondary infections.

Thanks!

You can vaccinate them earlier, but it's a different vaccine, and you have to re-vaccinate once they're older.

I believe the recommendation to prevent secondary infection is to simply use triple antibiotic (neosporin) without pain reliever on the affected sites directly.

And put a vitamin in the water.

Quote:
Oh, then it's like with kittens, the little ones get a small dose then another when they're older. Well, since i have mom and those two babies in the house, i might just wait and then try to go in with someone else on the vaccine at a later time for them.

Well, i can try to catch Little Man Tate and put some neosporin on his pox. He's a bit skittish. Um, or i think i also read about using iodine. i don't think he has the wet pox, since he's crowing up a storm.

i've got some Avia Charge 2000 i will put in their water. He's such a cute little dude.

Thanks so much!

Yes, i've heard of using iodine too.

Happy to help!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom