1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fowl pox in rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TexasHeifer, Nov 1, 2014.

1. TexasHeifer

TexasHeifer Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Texas
    Is this fowl pox? This literally showed up within the last 2 days. From my understanding it isn't curable, it's something they get over themselves in several weeks and it's spread mainly by mosquitoes? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Is the anything extra I can do to keep this from causing a secondary infection? Non of my local feed stores have antibiotics. The only thing close is the Sav-A-Chick powder.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yep, it looks like a mild case of fowl pox, it may or may not get worse. You can provide Sav-A-Chick to help boost the immune system to help fight off secondary bacterial infections IF they occur. I dont recommend giving antibiotics unless there is an actual need for them. I see no need for them in this instance unless you observe something out of the ordinary.
    You can put iodine or black shoe polish on the scabs to help dry them up quicker. Neosporin ointment can be used if the bird scratches a scab, then put neosporin on the wound to prevent bacterial infection.
    Remember, fowl pox is a virus and antibiotics wont treat it, it'll have to run its course.
    Mosquitos normally carry the virus. Try to eliminate places and items holding water where mosquitos breed.

1 person likes this.
  3. TexasHeifer

TexasHeifer Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Texas

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by