Fowl pox, lice, duck injuries!

cleoandtheflock

Crowing
Jan 16, 2019
Georgia
Hi, BYCers!
I need help with my flock.
I have about 20 birds right now and they are not well.

They ALL have wet fowl pox. :-(
Some have a few scabs on their wattles comb and near their nostrils. Other have large scabs everywhere on their face. Others have a few small dots.
The fowl pox is poofing and scabbing and kind of coming off on a badly infected bird. Does that means its going away?
I have been putting silvadene cream from my vet on the scabs. Also poulty eyedrops it the ones with swollen eyes.
Also the fowl pox on most of the chickens is growing by the hour. Is that interesting?
The chickens with bad pox have yellow cheesy things in their mouth. Will the cheesy thingies come out on their own? I heard they can grow so large the chickens can't breath. I have never had fowl pox in my flock. I am very worried about it. It is awful. :hit

The lice is specifically feather lice which only inhabits the head and neck and sometimes breast areas.
Most of the birds have is very sparsely and don't seem to think much of it. Others have lots of lice egg build up and are pulling their feathers and itchy itchy. Also the lice eggs are dusty stuff is building up near the ears. 😰

The duck injuries are not ducks with injuries but more like chickens with aggressive male duck injuries.
My male duck Toby Duck is biting the hens combs and stuffing their heads in the mud. One hen has her eye completely puffed up and scabbed over from it and fowl pox.
How can I loosen the excess feathers and blood built up over her eye? Hot water?
I am separating my ducks tomorrow by the way, but how can I help the hen with stuff over her eye and a hen with a bloody comb? :(

Please ask lots of questions and help the best you can even if you only know a small amount.

Thank you my chicken friends. You are extraordinary! :bow

:)

The bloody eye should be cleaned, warm water will work to clean them. I would also get terramycin for the eyes to help them heal. Fowl pox is a virus, it has to run it's course. I'll brb with more on fowl pox

For the Lice problem you will want to do a permetherin pour on. I believe the concentration is 0.5%, bur get a second reply.
Where can I buy this?
I know you don't want harsh chemicals with small animals most of the time.
Should I be worried about my bantams that are very small?
Can I use anything else? :)

Where can I buy this?
I know you don't want harsh chemicals with small animals most of the time.
Should I be worried about my bantams that are very small?
Can I use anything else? :)
Permetherin can be used on any birds, in this concentration it is safe. It can be found online or at your local feed store, TSC, etc... you will want the stuff prescribed fro cattle pour-over. @Kiki you literally dunk them in a permetherin solution, right?

The bloody eye should be cleaned, warm water will work to clean them. I would also get terramycin for the eyes to help them heal. Fowl pox is a virus, it has to run it's course. I'll brb with more on fowl pox
Where can I buy terramycin?
I am putting gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic solution eye drops for poultry in my chicken's eyes now. Will these help?
Thank you!

Where can I buy terramycin?
I am putting gentamicin sulfate ophthalmic solution eye drops for poultry in my chicken's eyes now. Will these help?
Thank you!
I have never used the drops but I doubt they will hurt. As for the Terra, you can get it at the same places I listed for permetherin. It's okay if it doesn't specifically say for eye treatments

Back
Top Bottom