Fowl pox? Messed up feet!

A friend hatched 2 of the 3 from an abandoned wild nest. They were raised in a LARGE rabbit/guinea pig cage. I kept them in same cage for 1 week while building platform to keep them off the ground.They are now in a temporary 6x6 ft chain link pen covered in 1/2 in hardware cloth. Same for the bottom of pen. These were given to me as my friend lives in town.

Have you checked them for lice and Mites? I am not sure if a bad case of either could cause those sores on the face or not. Either way the goal now is to get them clean and healthy and we will do our best to help you with that. Even with messed up toes they can usually still perch. Have you tried the mineral oil on the feet yet?

DylansMom. Thanks for your help. I have not seen anything on any of the peas. No itching either. I did soak Ivory today. It has been 107 here today. Did not put mineral oil on legs yet. Was wondering about Vaseline instead. May soften them up some. Helps mine when dry & sore? Face has not gotten worse, not as flaky.

DylansMom. Thanks for your help. I have not seen anything on any of the peas. No itching either. I did soak Ivory today. It has been 107 here today. Did not put mineral oil on legs yet. Was wondering about Vaseline instead. May soften them up some. Helps mine when dry & sore? Face has not gotten worse, not as flaky.

You could put Vaseline on the legs and feet to kill any parasites. It will choke them out. Make sure it doesn't get on the feathers though. Please post pictures of the face.

Is Ivory the only one like this or do the other 2 babies have the same problems? Vaseline is a good option just keep it off the feathers as birdrain advised.

Yes DylansMom. The other 2 seem just fine. No crusty scabs. Feet r fine. I think if it was contagious all 3 would of had it. Toes look to me like they were born that way. I guess I missed it as they were up higher than I could see well. Until I put them out in bigger pen. I'm heading out in a bit to soak & put Vaseline on her feet & legs. Thank you.

Yes DylansMom. The other 2 seem just fine. No crusty scabs. Feet r fine. I think if it was contagious all 3 would of had it. Toes look to me like they were born that way. I guess I missed it as they were up higher than I could see well. Until I put them out in bigger pen. I'm heading out in a bit to soak & put Vaseline on her feet & legs. Thank you.
Well Fowl Pox is an incubation of 7-10 days. If it's been passed that time period since you first saw symptoms then they're probably not infected luckily. If your bird does actually have Fowl Pox though.

That's good to hear that it is just one. Often times a chick will hatch with crooked toes, and if they have a hard time getting out it seems to be more likely. When this happens for people with experience we tape toes right away. If the person who hatched the chick is inexperienced they probably didn't even notice. How is Ivory with walking?

I agree. Today she looked better. I put Vaseline on bottoms of toes
Ivory kind of hops & flaps her wings. Maybe she will figure it out. Started her on petmed 4 in 1. Hoping to get her strong enough to kick whatever this is.

Back
Top Bottom