Fowl pox? Messed up feet!

marcyflock

Chirping
Mar 5, 2015
Hello all, I'm new to pea's. Have 1free range adult male, 1 wild female with 2 babies. I just received 3 babies almost 2mo old. Ivory has crusty spots around her beak & now eyes. (I was told fowl pox). Keep inside until last week. Outside in pen off the ground. 1/2 in hardware cloth bottom with pine shavings on top. I've just separated their space as I think ivory is being picked on. Treating her eyes with Terramycin. Her beak area with sulfa/neosporine. Feeding purina start & grow. (Red bag)Advice greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Does it look something like this? Or yellow like scabs on places that don't have feathers?

Who told you it was Fowl Pox? If it is Fowl Pox it's going to be very hard to get them back. There actually is no official treatment option for it. Reason being Fowl Pox is caused by a virus. Which antibiotics will have no effect on. It's incubation period is 8-10 days. Fowl Pox can spread from dusting getting into the air way or into the blood stream. Mosquitoes and flies can spread the virus. There is a prevention plan though, keeping insects away from other bird, and it would probably be a good idea to vaccinate them if you can.

There are a few treatment plans that could help but I don't know if they would work. Again this is a virus so it's difficult to get rid of. Looking at treatment plans for other viral diseases vets will sometimes chose two different options. One option is to try and prevent a secondary infection by using antibiotics. Trying to keep it so the body can focus on the battle with one disease not multiple. Another could be to use probiotics to help the Digestive tract functioning the best it can to improve the bird's nutrition, helping the bird get strong enough to fight the disease off. Just some methods I've noticed vets will do with some diseases. Other times they will just euthanize the birds, sterilize the pen and surrounding area. Not sure how well it will work with Fowl Pox.

Does not look like pictures. Brown crusty around beak & eyes. Someone on FB site told me looked like fowl pox.
The other 2 pea chicks in same pen do NOT have it. Now it looks like dried blood on the beak as I think 1 of the others was picking on her. (I have separated injured one out). I'm not sure if you can see the pic. Thank you so much.

Does it look something like this? Or yellow like scabs on places that don't have feathers? Who told you it was Fowl Pox? If it is Fowl Pox it's going to be very hard to get them back. There actually is no official treatment option for it. Reason being Fowl Pox is caused by a virus. Which antibiotics will have no effect on. It's incubation period is 8-10 days. Fowl Pox can spread from dusting getting into the air way or into the blood stream. Mosquitoes and flies can spread the virus. There is a prevention plan though, keeping insects away from other bird, and it would probably be a good idea to vaccinate them if you can. There are a few treatment plans that could help but I don't know if they would work. Again this is a virus so it's difficult to get rid of. Looking at treatment plans for other viral diseases vets will sometimes chose two different options. One option is to try and prevent a secondary infection by using antibiotics. Trying to keep it so the body can focus on the battle with one disease not multiple. Another could be to use probiotics to help the Digestive tract functioning the best it can to improve the bird's nutrition, helping the bird get strong enough to fight the disease off. Just some methods I've noticed vets will do with some diseases. Other times they will just euthanize the birds, sterilize the pen and surrounding area. Not sure how well it will work with Fowl Pox.
Google dry pox vs wet pox. The chicken in your book looks like it has wet pox, which can be difficult to treat. This peachick looks like it has dry pox. -Kathy

@marcyflock, the title of your thread mentions feet, but I didn't see any mention of feet in your posts? Anyway, if your chick has scabs/growths on it's feet of legs, it's almost certainly pox. Do be sure to check the inside of her mouth for that cheesy pus/plaque.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom