Fowl pox or bug bites? We have had a terrible swarm of biting insects lately. I am covered in itchy bites.

Jun 9, 2023
There is nothing else on any other chicken. Just him.
IMG_20231021_163911780_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20231021_163916586_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231021_163916586_HDR.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20231021_163928841_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231021_163928841_HDR.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 4
I can't tell if that's pox or something else, pox blisters I've seen generally are bigger, but it may just be early and you noticed because there are so many. They start out as pale blisters, turn darker, scab over, and then eventually fall off. Those may be pecking injuries, or they may be pox. But pox will not affect you, whatever is itching you, is from whatever is biting. If it's pox he has, then just keep an eye on him, make sure he continues to eat and drink. The dry form usually runs it's course in a few weeks with no real issues. The wet form can cause lesions in the beak and throat and is more serious. It's best to leave the scabs alone, they can also spread the illness. Keep feeders and waterers clean to help prevent the spread.

I can't tell if that's pox or something else, pox blisters I've seen generally are bigger, but it may just be early and you noticed because there are so many. They start out as pale blisters, turn darker, scab over, and then eventually fall off. Those may be pecking injuries, or they may be pox. But pox will not affect you, whatever is itching you, is from whatever is biting. If it's pox he has, then just keep an eye on him, make sure he continues to eat and drink. The dry form usually runs it's course in a few weeks with no real issues. The wet form can cause lesions in the beak and throat and is more serious. It's best to leave the scabs alone, they can also spread the illness. Keep feeders and waterers clean to help prevent the spread.
I saw a ton of tiny bugs flying around in the run. I have the young chicks in there and they were scratching their faces like crazy while I was getting bit too. I had to crate them inside because the swarm was so thick. I'm thinking my poor boy also got bit up in the swarm. If it is pox hopefully it just runs it's course. I change water daily and wash out the drinkers with a change of water. Trying to keep things as clean as possible.

There are some kinds of gnats that will swarm at certain times of the year, I know buffalo gnats have been a huge issue for some people. You might need to take measures to deter them, if you can figure out what they are. I have gnats during the summer and I plant rosemary bushes in my run. The birds hide in them and the aromatic oils in the leaves seem to help deter the gnats. You can also use fly tapes and fly traps to try to reduce your numbers, as well as keeping droppings picked up as much as you can, those attract all kinds of flying insects.

There are some kinds of gnats that will swarm at certain times of the year, I know buffalo gnats have been a huge issue for some people. You might need to take measures to deter them, if you can figure out what they are. I have gnats during the summer and I plant rosemary bushes in my run. The birds hide in them and the aromatic oils in the leaves seem to help deter the gnats. You can also use fly tapes and fly traps to try to reduce your numbers, as well as keeping droppings picked up as much as you can, those attract all kinds of flying insects.
I think they are no-see-ums. Man they make me itch something terrible. I've never seen a swarm like that. Rosemary bushes huh? I love rosemary. Smells great. Of course we have the typical mosquitoes here too.

Back
Top Bottom