Fowl pox please help

sammy56

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
2 moths ago I hatched thirteen eggs they were all fine but when they were two weeks old I saw one of my chicks had a crusty thing In the eye I thought the chick fighted and got hurt but after one week all of them gottet the had crusty eyes they were going blind and had big dumpy things near their beak someone told me it was fowl pox it gets better in two weeks but my one died going blind and went weak so my heart broke all died after that my other hen hatched 12 chicks even they got the same I have only two left please help it can't go further if all my chicks dies how will I expand my flock please help

Where do you live (what state or country?) Fowl pox is a viral disease of warm weather, spread by mosquitoes. If it is cold weather where you live, it is more than likely a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG or CRD) or infectious coryza. The symptoms of those may respond to antibiotics such as Tylan for MG, or Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet for coryza. Those diseases are never cured, but are chronic, and can make carriers of a whole flock for life, infecting any new birds. Here is a good link to read about those and other diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Fowl pox usually presents with flat black small lesions on the comb and wattles. Eggcressive has given a good response; that is not fowl pox.

I live in bangladesh in asia in here there r lots of mosquitoes I don't if it is fowl pox there eylid its getting bigger and they r getting blind they can't open the eye

I live in bangladesh in asia in here there r lots of mosquitoes I don't if it is fowl pox there eylid its getting bigger and they r getting blind they can't open the eye

Could you post a picture? . Fowl pox will cause tan to black scabs anywhere on the body, but more frequently on the face, comb, wattles, and earlobes. It can cause lumpy swollen eyes with secondary infection. Fowl pox is caused by a virus, but if there is infection in the eye, you will need to clean the eyes with normal saline, and the application of an antibiotic ointment would help. Wet fowl pox is a more severe pox infection that can cause yellow patches inside the throat, esophagus and airway. Treatment of pox is mainly to make sure the chickens eat enough, since they can starve themselves because of the pain.

Last edited:
Yes their comb is hard and has red spots I think they have microplasma and coryza

Back
Top Bottom