Fowl Pox, when do I give up on an eye infection...nasty pic warning

Fraunie

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
Elfin Forest
Dry pox is running through my flock, half seem to be getting a mild case and half get eye infections requiring daily/twice daily cleanings and antibiotics. I've been working on this girl for over a week, and the infection isn't clearing. I clean so much of this white stuff out a day it is truly disgusting. Everyday I think I'm going to have to euthanize, and every morning I go out and she is acting otherwise normal. She is very thin, I seclude her during the day so she can eat and drink without competition, but she doesn't eat much.

Here are a couple pics, I don't want to give up on her, but I don't want her to suffer. Every time I clean it out, it is painful for her and she sits for a while with both eyes closed, not moving much.

She obviously has a secondary bacterial infection in her eye which can be common in pox virus. You will have to clean out all of the white pus with QTips, saline, and tweezers. Then apply Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel from your local feed store to the eye twice a day. Fortunately pox only lasts 2-3 weeks, but blindness can be common after eye infections. Here is a good link about pox and eye infections: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/195/fowl-pox/

Thank you, that is exactly what I have been doing for the past 10-12 days plus giving her Pen-G shots as well. My decision was made for me when I went down today, she was in a corner with both eyes closed shaking and wobbly so I put her down. When I picker her up she just went limp, so I think it was time.

I have saved a few, but none this bad. I have one now that is getting pretty bad again, but hopefully this is the last one I'll have to put down.

Thanks for your info!

Back
Top Bottom