Fowl Pox?

Jessica241

Songster
5 Years
Oct 22, 2018
IMG_2447.JPG
IMG_2445.JPG
Hi Friends!

We are first time chicken owners and it looks like our 1 year old has fowl pox? We have checked inside her mouth and didn't see anything so I think it is just dry pox. Can anyone confirm? We have upped the amount of protein for all 3 of our girls ( hard boiled eggs, fish)

Also curious if anyone knows how easily it can spread to wet pox? Or if that is rare? I'm a worried chicken mama and just want to make sure we are doing everything to keep them healthy!

Thank you!

It does look similar to dry pox. unfortunately this is something that will need to be waited out. Do you have a vet that can give them a vaccine? The best thing you can do is put some gloves on and rub the affected area with organic neem oil. The neem will relax the annoying irritation that the pox gives them and the oil will stay on them keeping the virus from your other chickens as the dead skin can hold the virus then blow over to your other birds. You can also get a 20% game bird feed to up the protein along with hard boiled eggs and Mana Pro poultry conditioner. It really wouldn't matter if you separate your flock as there are many ways they can contract this virus, and your other birds may have it but are not showing signs. I hope your chicken gets better and honestly it doesn't look to be a really bad case of it, if it is that.

It does look like it may be pox. Sometimes it can be hard to tell from pecking injuries. It's usually best to leave the scabs alone, if one looks particularly bad you can dab some iodine on it with a qtip. It usually originates with mosquito's, but the scabs can spread it. Wet pox is less common, but can happen. Keeping things as clean as you can, cleaning feeders and waterers, etc. can help prevent the spread. The dry pox will run it's course in several weeks, usually with little or no issues, any birds that are infected will have some resistance to that strain in the future. Some vaccines for pox are given at 1 day old, some can be given to older birds, but the bird has to be healthy. Unless you have a lot of pox cases, or severe cases, vaccination is probably not really necessary (just my opinion). If you live in a place where mosquito's are heavy then putting up window screen on all openings in your coop can help prevent them from being bitten while roosting, which is when they are most likely to be. You can put a piece of screen over the door opening and cut it in strips that hang down, so the birds can still go in and out. I also have fans in windows and one in the eaves to move the air, which makes it harder for mosquito's to land on them.

It does look similar to dry pox. unfortunately this is something that will need to be waited out. Do you have a vet that can give them a vaccine? The best thing you can do is put some gloves on and rub the affected area with organic neem oil. The neem will relax the annoying irritation that the pox gives them and the oil will stay on them keeping the virus from your other chickens as the dead skin can hold the virus then blow over to your other birds. You can also get a 20% game bird feed to up the protein along with hard boiled eggs and Mana Pro poultry conditioner. It really wouldn't matter if you separate your flock as there are many ways they can contract this virus, and your other birds may have it but are not showing signs. I hope your chicken gets better and honestly it doesn't look to be a really bad case of it, if it is that.

Thank you so much for your reply, I so appreciate all your information! We actually have organic Neem oil for our veggie garden so we will put that on her comb :)

It does look like it may be pox. Sometimes it can be hard to tell from pecking injuries. It's usually best to leave the scabs alone, if one looks particularly bad you can dab some iodine on it with a qtip. It usually originates with mosquito's, but the scabs can spread it. Wet pox is less common, but can happen. Keeping things as clean as you can, cleaning feeders and waterers, etc. can help prevent the spread. The dry pox will run it's course in several weeks, usually with little or no issues, any birds that are infected will have some resistance to that strain in the future. Some vaccines for pox are given at 1 day old, some can be given to older birds, but the bird has to be healthy. Unless you have a lot of pox cases, or severe cases, vaccination is probably not really necessary (just my opinion). If you live in a place where mosquito's are heavy then putting up window screen on all openings in your coop can help prevent them from being bitten while roosting, which is when they are most likely to be. You can put a piece of screen over the door opening and cut it in strips that hang down, so the birds can still go in and out. I also have fans in windows and one in the eaves to move the air, which makes it harder for mosquito's to land on them.

Thank you so much for your reply! We are in Texas and we had SO much rain the mosquitos were terrible the last few weeks. We do have 2 industrial fans blowing through their coop that keep mosquitos at bay while they are in the run/roosting but they get to free range most of the day so I'm thinking she got bit then. We will also try the iodine! I appreciate your help!

I would not disturb the scabs. Neem oil is more of an insecticide, and pox is from already being bitten by a mosquito, so I don’t understand putting the on a scab. Iodine is used by some to dry them out, but touching a scab can spread the virus. Fallen scabs are contagious.

Neem can be used as an insecticide however it is used for all types of skin issues. It has a natural numbing agent which helps with pain from the soars. This is a natural approach to help heal and help pain. I use this all the time for combs and legs to lubricate as well as on my dogs on the back of there neck for a repellent. Do your research like I have and you can see all the benefits neem oil has.

Also even though it is an oil it will dry out the scabs as well. There is plenty of advice online as to the benefits.

Back
Top Bottom