Fowl pox?

Vicki B

Songster
7 Years
Jun 5, 2016
This just happened like overnight. Is it fowl pox? My poor baby Vera. Her eye was so full of puss. I put a warm compress on her nose and eye and cleaned out the puss. She just started molting also. She acts like herself. Eating and drinking well. Hasn’t laid in a week though.

Attachments

• B27DB63D-7D6A-4BD7-A188-08889DC8F6A9.jpeg
    B27DB63D-7D6A-4BD7-A188-08889DC8F6A9.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 9C777556-3EF6-4007-AC60-8027C4C5F26F.jpeg
    9C777556-3EF6-4007-AC60-8027C4C5F26F.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 9
There may have been a scab that was close to her eye causing irritation, then she scratched it and it became infected. You can flush her eye with saline solution, then apply Terramycin eye ointment in the eye. Just a little is all that is needed until completely healed.
I'd also recommend getting her started on Doxycycline due to the eye infection.
https://www.allivet.com/p-9127-fish-aid-antibiotics-doxycycline-100-mg.aspx

There may have been a scab that was close to her eye causing irritation, then she scratched it and it became infected. You can flush her eye with saline solution, then apply Terramycin eye ointment in the eye. Just a little is all that is needed until completely healed.
I'd also recommend getting her started on Doxycycline due to the eye infection.
https://www.allivet.com/p-9127-fish-aid-antibiotics-doxycycline-100-mg.aspx
She has a big scabby bump by her nose and her comb has sores on it. I will clean her eye better tomorrow and pick the ointment. Thank you

This just happened like overnight. Is it fowl pox? My poor baby Vera. Her eye was so full of puss. I put a warm compress on her nose and eye and cleaned out the puss. She just started molting also. She acts like herself. Eating and drinking well. Hasn’t laid in a week though.
HI! I don't know what to say about Vera's eye, but...
My entire flock got fowl pox (all at once) in September. All of them had blackish, wart-like bumps like the ones on your Vera's comb. Some spots looked a little like pecking injuries, but all of the chickens had those spots on their combs and wattles. Their combs also looked pale and/or dry. They were off their lay for a full month. None got the wet kind, and all survived just fine. I supplemented their water with oregano oil, and they were already on a high protein feather-fixer diet.

Back
Top Bottom